Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should my son pursue a bachelors in business?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My son wants to major at the University of Washington in the undergrad Foster school of business. The degree is slightly expensive considering her wants to double major in Supply chain management and accounting. I feel like this is a lot to take on at 19. But he thinks after graduating he will be able to land a job somewhere between $85,000-120,000. Now that all sounds excellent however what is the job market for these types of degree? He does not know, he is only going on the advise of a advisory at his high school. I think having a business bachelor's degree might be a waste considering everyone has a certificate in some type of business sub field or MBA. I don't want to crush his dreams by being negative (he claims in a ball of negative energy at times) but I don't want to waste too much money. Do any one you ladies know about job projections in these two fields. What are his chances of employment and success. He is so full on optimism but I am not so sure. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

bump

mrsary
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM
I know here in Houston, the supply chain is very active. He would find a lot of work here with that degree. Accounting should be big everywhere.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Supply chain management and accounting would be EXCELLENT degrees.   I would pick something specialized like that instead of just a general business degree.  

However, I don't know that he will start out making $85K+ per year. That seems a bit excessive because a college degree really just proves you an finish something in 4-5 years.  When you get out, you really don't have any useful experience and will need to gain it as a low man in any company.    For accounting, we have freshly hired kids out of college that assist with ouir annual audits by Price Waterhouse Coopers.   They do that for a year or so to gain practical experience.   Same for supply chain, he may have to start out in purchasing or as analyst before making big bucks.   

While he is in school, encourage him to apply for internships to get practical business experience.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Those are all questions to ask the college
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM
He can always get started and change majors next year. However, I think those are excellent degree choices.
Google "what job can I get with xxx degree"
momngram
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM

If that's what he wants to do he should do it.

MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM

My friend got his accounting degree/cpa from the UW. He got a job right out of school making great money, he is working for Microsoft now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM

I might be biased because most of my thirty-something friends are drowning in student loan debt and not making nearly what they thought they would with business and accounting degrees. He will not make that much fresh out of school, lol. Where is he hearing this from?

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:33 PM

A bachelors degree in business is not a waste.  But he's not going to land a job after graduation making $85k.  It just ain't gonna happen.  Staying in school and going for an MBA is a good idea though.

Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I would encourage the accounting. I have a cousin and her husband that are both accountants. They've been globe trotting for over a year now. They're in their late 20's/early 30's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)