Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking your children to volunteer....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

We've been talking about taking our daughter (7 years old) to do volunteer work (as a family), we hope it will be good for her and make her an all around better person.

My husband is Military and they have a sign up for a local Orphanage this weekend, he was thinking we could all go. Is that a good place to start with volunteer work for a child??

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM

You have to check with the organization about their age requirements. A lot of volunteer organizations don't allow children under 12/13 even with a parent because of insurance/liability issues. 

ihave1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM

I think that is a great idea!! 

ihave1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Oh yes that is right.  Totally forgot about that.

Quoting MOM-RN:

You have to check with the organization about their age requirements. A lot of volunteer organizations don't allow children under 12/13 even with a parent because of insurance/liability issues. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Orphanage? What is this, 1876?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM
Everywhere I volunteer, the age is 16!

Quoting MOM-RN:

MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM

That is why it is important to check first. Most places here it is 12/13 with a parent, 16 without. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: Everywhere I volunteer, the age is 16!
Quoting MOM-RN:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Beats me. Everywhere I took DS to volunteer when he was younger just said he couldn't help out or thought (after I SPECIFICALLY EXPLAINED TO THEM I was looking for things for my son to help with) I was looking to help out in my (non-existent) free time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: Orphanage? What is this, 1876?
Outside of the US, there are many orphanages. Educate yourself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM

If you do want a place for your child to help out, your best bet is a food bank. Some might allow for young children to help stack cans or help create food boxes.

WifeyandMom71
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM

I think that is a nice idea.  Maybe you will have to stay with her though, because i know that here in my state a child under 13 has to remain with a parent.  My DD volunteers at a  local animal shelter she is 16, but my other DD can only do it if i go with her.

~ Mari ~    Detective Wives Club  - Group Owner

http://www.cafemom.com/group/20453

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)