Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Punish or Not to Punish

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:29 PM
  • 30 Replies

What would you do?

"The necessary evils of being a parent is deciding the best consequences for bad behavior. Sometimes the decision is easy, sometimes they handle it well. Other times it seems to crush them." Read More

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM
It depends on the child and the age, and what they did wrong.
24Mom2Be
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1: It depends on the child and the age, and what they did wrong.

She's 4 1/2, she was talking back to her teacher and saying things like, "I'm not going to do it, just kidding" or "I'm gonna kill you, just kidding"

The second one shocked me. I don't know where she got that but I was like *jaw drop*

curvygurl1912
by on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:39 AM

I have never used punishment. I disciplined instead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Ooh, I hate the "just kidding" thing.

Or when I tell ds he isn't getting anything to eat, he'll slyly make his way into the kitchen. I yell at him to get out. "I'm only going to the bathroom"... to stand at the door, looking longingly at the fridge and then leave the kitchen. Smh.

Never heard the "I'm gonna kill you" one. That could result in some serious consequences at school.
wiggy2
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:49 AM
Honest question, no judgment. What exactly does that mean?

Quoting curvygurl1912:

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:57 AM
I don't use punishment either. I prefer consequences, every choice we make has one, sometimes the consequences were good and other times they were not. I think it helps a kid have a better understanding of the choices they make.

Quoting wiggy2: Honest question, no judgment. What exactly does that mean?
Quoting curvygurl1912:

wiggy2
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Do you choose the consequences?

Quoting luckysevenwow: I don't use punishment either. I prefer consequences, every choice we make has one, sometimes the consequences were good and other times they were not. I think it helps a kid have a better understanding of the choices they make.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM
Only when young, but even then they had a choice, options based off of their actions.

So if they break the rules of phone usage they aren't going to have to clean the bathroom, that doesn't make sense. The effect of breaking that rule means your phone gets put up. It's cause and effect basically, but I don't disagree that loosing the phone is in a way a punishment, I just prefer consequence over punishment.

Quoting wiggy2: Do you choose the consequences?

Quoting luckysevenwow: I don't use punishment either. I prefer consequences, every choice we make has one, sometimes the consequences were good and other times they were not. I think it helps a kid have a better understanding of the choices they make.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

wiggy2
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with you.

Quoting luckysevenwow: Only when young, but even then they had a choice, options based off of their actions.

So if they break the rules of phone usage they aren't going to have to clean the bathroom, that doesn't make sense. The effect of breaking that rule means your phone gets put up. It's cause and effect basically, but I don't disagree that loosing the phone is in a way a punishment, I just prefer consequence over punishment.

Quoting wiggy2: Do you choose the consequences?

Quoting curvygurl1912:

24Mom2Be
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:28 AM

Yeah, I really don't know where it came from. We very closely monitor what she watches, so I was dumbfounded.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Ooh, I hate the "just kidding" thing. Or when I tell ds he isn't getting anything to eat, he'll slyly make his way into the kitchen. I yell at him to get out. "I'm only going to the bathroom"... to stand at the door, looking longingly at the fridge and then leave the kitchen. Smh. Never heard the "I'm gonna kill you" one. That could result in some serious consequences at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)