Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miss my kids needing me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
I think I'm codependent but in the opposite way. I like to feel needed. My youngest is graduating from high school this year and it's really hitting me how empty my house and life will be. I've been a mom for over 26 years and that's all I know. My other two are off doing great but they are adults now and just don't need me as much as they used to. I like being needed.

I'm scared that I'm going to feel worthless once my daughter leaves for college. She is going out of state. Yes, I have friends but they don't rely on me like a child does. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered fostering a child or two? You could care for some little kiddos who need lots of love.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Aww, I'm sorry. I practically threw a party when my son was potty trained, LOL. I love when they can do things for themselves. Maybe throw yourself into something else like running a daycare business or helping animals. 

NYmama96
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Become a foster parent either to children in need or animals. They need tons of love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM
I have but in all honesty it wouldn't be right. I was just awarded disability and to try to care for other children properly just isn't doing them any favors. Children in the foster system, I would think, would need a whole lot of specialized love and attention. I don't think I would be able to give that to them.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Have you considered fostering a child or two? You could care for some little kiddos who need lots of love.
Mama8080
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM

You'll have grand babies soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM
I already have two dogs. That's all they allow in my apt. Still doesn't give me the same feeling of being needed that my children did.

Quoting NYmama96: Become a foster parent either to children in need or animals. They need tons of love.
happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean. DD moved 3,000 miles away and DS is just about out of the house too. I'm gonna be the crazy dog lady..... they always need me and will never move out... lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM
I wish I felt well enough to do that. Maybe that's part of why I'm feeling sad too. I was just awarded disability and know I'm not going to get to go back to work at my beloved profession. It's like a whole bunch of things ending for me.

Quoting Famousglm714:

Aww, I'm sorry. I practically threw a party when my son was potty trained, LOL. I love when they can do things for themselves. Maybe throw yourself into something else like running a daycare business or helping animals. 

NYmama96
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I love being a foster mom. I specialize in emergency placement of children. I get them in their most vulnerable state and when they realize that they are safe it is the most rewarding for me

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already have two dogs. That's all they allow in my apt. Still doesn't give me the same feeling of being needed that my children did.

Quoting NYmama96: Become a foster parent either to children in need or animals. They need tons of love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:39 PM
I really hope so! I KNOW they'll be calling all the time then!! I was an RN working in the newborn nursery so I know they'll be needing my help when they get their babies home!! Lol

Quoting Mama8080:

You'll have grand babies soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)