Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be ok being "just" a bartender?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My kids are 4 and 5. I'm a bartender and I enjoy my job. I work from 4pm-11pm(sometimes 12) and make 300-500 a night 5 times a week.

I cut back on work to start school but it didn't work. We went from living comfortably to penny pinching and stressing about money.

I don't want to be an embarrassment to my kids by just being a bartender but at the same time, I feel like a shitty parent when I'm in school.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maman-ours
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Bartenders make GOOD money!! So no I wouldn't feel bad if I was " just" a bartender lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM
If it works for you and you're happy, then don't worry about it. Tell them you're a server if it makes you feel better. They don't have to know the details.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM

As long as you aren't hooking out back during your shift I think it's fine. If I could quit my full time to bartend, which I do every Saturday, I would. The only reason I don't is I have insurance at my full time. Maybe only take 1-2 online classes. It will take longer, but you will feel better and still do what you like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM
There's nothing embarrassing about making a living. It's a job.
Don't worry about it mama.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat
CotterpinDoozer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this

In my opinion, anyone making an honest wage is not "just" an anything. If you enjoy being a bartender, then be a bartender! I don't know why they'd be embarrassed, my friends mom was a bartender. She was considered the mom with the cool job lol. Don't overthink it, do what makes you happy and what you think is best for your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM

If I didn't have a degree in the field I love then I would be okay being a bartender. I actually like doing stuff like that. I hook my friends up at parties with mixed drinks but I'm not fancy with the flinging the bottles like Tom Cruise in Cocktail. I just like to make people drunk. XD

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Some bartenders make a ton of money.  I see nothing seedy about being a bartender (I did it in college) unless you're slinging drinks at some nasty dive and showing your tits. 

I used to make huge tips when I tended bar.  Drunk people tip big.  Cutting people off is never fun, but that's a rarity in my experience.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Yes, they make good money. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)