Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to have a 1st birthday party

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My daughter was born December 23rd, 2015 (yes I know she isn't even 4 months yet) but I have friends with 5 and 6 month olds who are already planning their LOs first birthday party. I really don't want to have one, my hubby agrees with me, but am I selfish? It's a terrible time a year, I know because my birthday is Christmas day, most people are already broke from buying their own kids christmas and/or already have plans for holiday parties etc... I said I want to wait to throw her birthday until the summer after her birthday so like June, especially when she's older and has friends because summer is when all the fun stuff happens. I still am going to do her first birthday pictures with a smash cake and etc, but just am not a fan of the idea of a first birthday party. What did yall do? Opinions.. please no bashing.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM

nope you dont need to ahve parties they aren't a requirement. i'm not doing family parties this year. it will just be me and the kids. i'm making cakes and will do a little decorating or other fun thinkgs. like my gonna be 3 year old tomorrow i plan on blowing up balloons, and something with streamers, i also got some noise makes and birthday hats... so that and cake and jsut me and hte kids. plus a couple of presents. this is my first year not doing parties though but i still want to make the day super special somehow.

morgiefae
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:54 PM

We have always had 1st birthday parties for our kids, but they are family only, 

Libby22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM
Just have family over for dinner, get her some shiny balloons to bop and a cake to smash and call it a day. That's plenty. I am so over the Pinterest party crap.
WaterorWine
by Wino on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM
First birthdays are more about the parents than the kid. They don't know what's going on. It wont matter to her if you change the date.

I say get away with while you can, lol.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM
She doesn't need a party for her first. It's close to Christmas and she won't remember it anyway. I am a fan of half birthday celebrations for Christmas birthdays.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Small family type things, nothing big.

hart57
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM
You don't need to have a big party. We did just family (July and November kids). Both my kids have to wait until 5 for their first friends party, but they always get a family party.

I feel every kid should get to celebrate with a cake or cupcake and a few presents. They are little for such a short period of time. So we do the cake and presents with family for now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM

We don't do bday parties at all. Just not our thing. We still celebrate and acknowledge. Just keep it low key. 

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM
My oldest was born Dec 11. That is when we have her birthday. We have found plenty of fun things to do in the winter for parties and no one has ever complained.

For all our girls we had a big family party.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I can never make it look at good as pinterest :( lol all it ends up doing is costing an arm and a leg and giving me a headache! Lol

Quoting Libby22: Just have family over for dinner, get her some shiny balloons to bop and a cake to smash and call it a day. That's plenty. I am so over the Pinterest party crap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)