Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drugging the baby to sleep

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 315 Replies
My pedi told me to drug my 9 month old with benedryl to get her to sleep for a long chunk at night. That was 3 months ago and I never could bring myself to do it. But things are way out of hand. For an entire year now I have not slept more than an hour or so in a row. Some nights she might do a 4 hour stretch but usually she's up every 45 min to 2 hrs needing to be nursed back to sleep. The last few days she's been sick and I literally have not slept at all. None. She won't go down. I'm absolutely losing my mind. Like literally. I can't fuction, can't think straight. I'm a safety hazard. I have 2 other small children so it's not like I can just nap when the baby naps. We don't have many options for help. My mom drove the 2 hrs to help us over a few days last week because I had surgery. But she can only take so many days off work in a row. My DH can take off here and there but again he just took off some last week and he's got things piling up at work. Things are just out of control. I don't need an hour here or there that I might get if we hired someone...I need to sleep chunks of time AT NIGHT. I NEED sleep. My eyes burn, my heart is racing, I'm literally so over tired and have such a sleep dept that it takes me a while to fall back asleep after I get her down. Then she's up again.

Please don't tell me stuff like start a routine, or use a sound machine, sleep sacks or anything like that. I have other kids, I've done this before and tried it all. We never had this problem with them. It's just her. We tried forms of CIO. It doesn't work. She'll scream for hours literally until she wins. My DH tries going to her and just comforting her and rocking her while she screams but it doesn't work. She'll only accept me. And right now she is sick. So we can't just let her scream herself to death right now.

I'm not here for sleep advice. Unless it's something absolutely ground breaking. I'm here to find out if anyone else has resorted to this and if it worked. If you only have mean things to say then just exit the post. Like I said I haven't slept in a year, I'm not in the mood.

Have you given your baby or toddler benedryl? I don't want to kill my kid but I'm desperate. I might die if I don't start sleeping. Literally.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM
5 moms liked this
I would NEVER give a child that young sleep medication.

Have you tried co-sleeping?
alberoinbloom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM
6 moms liked this
Normally babies start sleeping normal by one.
Does your child have a condition? I would start by looking for a diagnose.
If your pediatrician told you to give your baby benadryl change your doctor.
Why the f*** would any sane person advice to get a child dependent on drugs to fall to sleep?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM
Yes. Doesn't make a difference. Like I said, we've tried it all. It's not sleeping medication. It's benedryl. It's technically permitted for kids over 6 months. That's just not the intended purpose.

Quoting MOM-RN: I would NEVER give a child that young sleep medication.

madamlunna213
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Find new doctor. ASAP unless you WANT your kids in foster care.
spacedementia
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM
Co-sleep or wean her before you drug her, please.
butterflychelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM
3 moms liked this
What about melatonin instead of the benadryl? I've heard of people doing it but I don't think I could do it either. Melatonin is natural it might help.
Hugs to you mama that's sounds rough.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
He said just do it a few nights to get some sleep and build up some sleep reserves so I can function.

What condition could she have? I've googlrd the mess out of it and came up with nothing. She's just stubborn and in a bad habit of nursing to sleep.

Quoting alberoinbloom: Normally babies start sleeping normal by one.
Does your child have a condition? I would start by looking for a diagnose.
If your pediatrician told you to give your baby benadryl change your doctor.
Why the f*** would any sane person advice to get a child dependent on drugs to fall to sleep?
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never give a 9 month old any medication that wasn't absolutely necessary. End of story.

You need sleep then bring in help to keep the baby while you sleep.

Take the baby to a new pediatrician to figure out what is going on.

You have other options.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes. Doesn't make a difference. Like I said, we've tried it all. It's not sleeping medication. It's benedryl. It's technically permitted for kids over 6 months. That's just not the intended purpose.

Quoting MOM-RN: I would NEVER give a child that young sleep medication.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:14 PM
Tried both. Didn't work. She's stubborn.

Quoting spacedementia: Co-sleep or wean her before you drug her, please.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Some might suggest melatonin. I donto agree with giving ANYTHING to tour child for sleep, unless they are sick and can't breath or something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)