Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She does't owe you s***!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
2 moms liked this
My parents are pissed that my younger sister isn't giving them any money.

She is 22, she's an RN, working a full time and a PRN job. She works about 60 hours a week, so she's making excellent money. She has no minimal expenses. No student loans, she received a scholarship from a hospital. She rents because she has no desire to really settle anywhere right now. And she's living well. She's saving, but she also just bought herself a nice, new car, paid in full. She's gone on several awesome vacations. She has nice clothes, gets her nails done, hangs out with friends. She just lives well. Oh, and no kids. Our parents are broke, they always have been. That's why she worked so hard to make a good life for herself because she has no intention of ever living the way we had to growing up. Our parents seem to think since she's doing so well, she owes them and should help them out. They don't bug me because I'm married with kids, so my income is joint but also goes to our kids. Since sister is single, she apparently needs to be helping them out. They're about to default on their mortage, their car has broken down yet again.

They've asked her several times for money, and she's always said no. She says she's the one working and working hard and our parents barely supported her growing up. And that's true. She started working at 16 and while living at home had to pay $75 rent/groceries a week.

They talked to me today to try and convince her to help them. I told the she doesn't owe them a damn thing. Maybe they should have made better choices, saved more, or worked harder. Our mother was a "stay at home mom", and I say that in quotes because they absolutely could not afford to have a stay at home parent, especially since our maternal grandparents watched us regularly after school, so she could have easily worked and had free childcare.

They are of course pissed that I don't agree that my sister should spread her wealth. She earned it, I see no reason she should have to help them out.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Can you see Utopia from up there on your high horse?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM
They made their bed.....
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you.  Bad choices don't enttile you to a relatives money.  Or even your kids money.

shilohkitten
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for your sister!  The parents sound terrible.  How could anyone ask that of their children???  The parents are supposed to take the kids, not the other way around!  You and your sister are both right, your parents need to grow the fuck up.

Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM
She doesn't owe them anything. They are the ones that can't manage things why should she bail them out. Of she gives them something they will keep going back.
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM
Good for her and you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM
I wouldn't pressure my sister. It is what it is. She doesn't want to help end of story like you said.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry about their luck. They should've saved the money they charged her growing up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM
Funny how parents who couldn't provide shit for their kids think the kids should provide for the parents, most of the time more than the pathetic parents ever provided themselves.

I have one of those myself. She "did the best she could". Yeah, okay, well now I'm doing the best I can fit my kids and I've raised the standards and I won't be financing her instead of my own kids.
HaroldsMom
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Hold the phone please they had your baby sister pay rent at 16 did I read that right?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)