Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUICK QUESTION for college students/graduates.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
Here's my dilemma, I need to sign up for sophomore year classes. I need to take math. I tested for beginner-intermediate algebra. I didn't take algebra in highschool, I took geometry. So, I could either take the test again hoping to get a higher score so I can skip the beginner algebra and take college algebra instead, or take the beginners class then take college algebra.
I was only short 11 points. I don't necessarily want to take two math classes if I could help it, however, since I haven't taken algebra before I don't want to jump into college algebra and struggle and possibly fail. I'm thinking I need to take the begginers class. Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:36 PM
Bump
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM
I took pre algebra in middle school, then algebra in high school, then I tested so poorly I had to take remedial algebra again in college.

I kinda suck at math... the beginners class was helpful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM
I didn't do math in college.
desertlvn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM
Take the lower level. It is helpful in cementing info.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM
If it's an option to take the test again, the. It's probably worth it. I've never heard of placement tests being allowed to be redone, but it doesn't mean they aren't.

Also, at the college I went to I was able to pay $50 to test out of a class. I took Calculus in HS, so I easily tested out of the lower level algebra classes in my degree. I chose to take geometry because it's fun, LOL. I also tested out of the class where we would have basically learned Microsoft Office.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM
If you're not bad at math go for the higher level and plan to meet with a tutor once a week.

I suck at math and it took me 3 tries to pass the lowest level. Well..I rarely went to class so that might also have been part of the problem.
SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM
Why not do them at a local community college in the summer session and then transfer the credits?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM
I was really good, in geometry. It made sense. Algebra is just not right. Even in kindergarten you learn that numbers and letters do not go together. Lol.

I'm thinking I need to take the extra class. Chances are I could score higher on the test, but I don't like the idea of being thrown into college algebra.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I took pre algebra in middle school, then algebra in high school, then I tested so poorly I had to take remedial algebra again in college.

I kinda suck at math... the beginners class was helpful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM
I highly recommend taking intermediate algebra, it will help. Also, take it on campus as opposed to online, having the teacher there will be beneficial.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM
I suck at math.
I need to take the placement test again.
I would take the lower level
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)