Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charging your child rent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
My 25 yo son lives with me and has for a year. I really enjoy his company and hes very respectful and helps me out with stuff. At first he was getting on his feet and I didn't charge him rent. I do not mind helping him. (He had a failed start up business and it drained him, I was proud that he tried to start his own business!) Lately my utilities have been higher and he's got a job making 40k. He likes it a lot warmer than I usually keep the house. I started charging him 200 a month to help offset the cost. I'm a single mom with his 3 sisters at home.

I know it's not a big deal but I feel bad taking money from him. Not sure why but I do. Would you feel bad about it? I've been thinking of putting it in a saving for him later if I don't absolutely need it for utilities. Would you?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Nope. I charged my oldest rent when he was home in the summers. You don't live for free

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM
If he is the cause for the increase, he should've immediately offered to pay without you having to go to him. Does he know that the bill is going up because of him?
ki19
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't feel bad because at this point, he can afford to live on his own.
RSass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Just have him pay the utilities and you have no problems
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I think putting some of it away is a great plan. I'd see it as a positive that he's being a responsible adult willing to pay for a share of his living expenses. Much better than having a child that's expecting handouts :)
JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM
I will not charge my child to live at home unless they were complete bums. And for that, I'd prefer they go to school to at least learn a trade or study. University is free here so no excuse to not go.

But I think the side account is a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM
Well I don't think he realized it before I said something. He doesn't have an issue with paying it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If he is the cause for the increase, he should've immediately offered to pay without you having to go to him. Does he know that the bill is going up because of him?
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM
If someone lives with their parents after finishing school, then yes, they should pay rent.
readyforhim
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM
I would in your situation and he shouldn't mind either.
lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM
No, he should be paying more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)