Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for police officers or those in a relationship with one...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I was watching TV when I see police chasing someone on foot. They yell, "Stop Police!" As usual it has no effect on the suspect. Now I have heard officers are supposed to identify themselves. (Not sure if that's true.) I wondered if real officers actually say this as I would imagine it has no effect on real suspects. So is this just another Hollywood wive's tale like they make up silencers being real or was this true.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM
Of course they are supposed to identify themselves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM

i dunno - but just so you know - it's an old wive's tale, not a wise tale. probably would like to know you are going around saying it wrong - and no one told you lol. :-) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Quoting Anonymous 3:

i dunno - but just so you know - it's an old wive's tale, not a wise tale. probably would like to know you are going around saying it wrong - and no one told you lol. :-) 

Yeah I know that but auto correct doesn't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM
Quoting Hanab818: Yes they are and now a days most of these shows have consultants on the show that work in the actual field of the area they are trying to capture. So there probably is a real police officer or retired one that helps with the accuracy of the show.

Ha ha. That's funny that you think there are consultants. Most dramas are filled with errors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Eh, it depends. It's really not necessary if I'm in uniform, as my uniform and badge clearly identify that I am a police officer. But it never hurts to eliminate the uncertainty and identify myself verbally as well. If I need to use force or document that the subject fled from police, I need to be able to show that the subject knew that I was the police.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Then they should be fired, lol. There are so many inaccuracies that the general public accept as factual. It's a phenomenon known as the law and order effect.

Quoting Hanab818: Yes they are and now a days most of these shows have consultants on the show that work in the actual field of the area they are trying to capture. So there probably is a real police officer or retired one that helps with the accuracy of the show.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)