Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stray cat-pregnant or no?! HELP!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Boyfriend and I took in a friendly stray. We found her about a week ago. Gave her the spare room to herself with food, water, toys, bed, litter box, and open (screened) window. She meowed a lot at first, was litter trained, aggressive towards other animals. Her belly seemed lil big, so we took care to make other pets avoid her in case of worms. Well, now she's went from meowing a ton and eating nonstop, to laying in one spot all day and hardly moving or talking (besides a random loud cry). When I go sit with her, she purrs and rubs on me. Bt her belly is super big, she's having trouble getting up, hasn't eaten all day. Pooped a lot more than usual past day or so. Nipples are round and hard. She doesn't freak out when I push her belly. I don't know. Is she pregnant? (Don't even mention vet. I have two other pets to worry about there, can't afford taking a third). I gave her a nesting area, enclosed with blankets. I felt her belly, but don't notice anything in there. I don't know if she's pregnant or not, or if she is how long before she has babies. Anybody got any ideas?!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLA25233
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Maybe.  We could feel the kittens when our cat was pregnant (this was when I was a kid).  It looks like she's already given birth previously.  I'd take her into the vet and ask them.  Could be a blockage, could be having trouble digesting the food you're giving her.  I don't know, I don't know a lot about female cats.  I hope you figure it out and she's okay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Not trying to be mean but you shouldn't keep this cat if you can't afford to take it to the vet because what if something happens?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 1:06 AM
The city I'm in is overfilled with strays. Either I pay a fee to have her a Che reserved at humane society, or I toss her on streets. I'm not leaving her out in the cold, nobody will take her, and I'm focusing more on necessities than vets. It's not possible to take her to vet, or for her to find another home in a city with a hundred strays and thousands of cat owners. I'm in process of asking around online, but as of right now.. No, it isn't a bad idea to keep her. She has food, water, litter, a warm place to sleep. Plenty of cats have survived with much less, and if anything goes seriously wrong (if she gets sick or has babies and they're sick), we will scrounge up some money and make some sacrifices to help immediately. But as of right now, things are going smoothly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Not trying to be mean but you shouldn't keep this cat if you can't afford to take it to the vet because what if something happens?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 1:09 AM
Thank you! I'm assuming she's pregnant because when we took her in a week ago, she was significantly smaller. But you're right, it could just be because she's provided food daily now. I'll talk to boyfriend and see about finding a free pet clinic near us, if possible.

Quoting CLA25233:

Maybe.  We could feel the kittens when our cat was pregnant (this was when I was a kid).  It looks like she's already given birth previously.  I'd take her into the vet and ask them.  Could be a blockage, could be having trouble digesting the food you're giving her.  I don't know, I don't know a lot about female cats.  I hope you figure it out and she's okay.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Find the money and take her to a vet. You shouldn't be taking in an animal you can't afford to care for. If you can't afford her, rehome her or bring her to a local no kill shelter. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM

Put your hand on her belly and see if you feel any babies.

A lot of strays become stray when the owners think they have become pregnant. Put her on a high quality food, or kitten food. Keep all doors shut or she may just have the babies in your bed, or the tub, or under the bed.

Nikidu
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:41 AM

If she'll allow you to, just lay your hand on her belly. You can feel kittens a couple weeks in. If not, then she's either getting used to not gorging or she's getting used to the food you're giving her. Also, make sure to check her stool for worms. Believe me, they're hard to miss. 

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 8, 2016 at 1:44 AM

The look of those nipples I would be guessing she is about to deliver.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:50 AM
Yep she's pregnant
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:54 AM
I hope the last two comments are right and nothing is really wrong with her!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)