Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'I'm not interested in that stuff'

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 2:39 AM
  • 20 Replies
2 moms liked this

I own and run my own publishing company that has around 25 contracted authors we represent. One of our authors has hit the Amazon best selling list and even after our cut will earn around $4000 this month from one book alone. We were talking the other night and her husband has told her he doesn't want to hear anything about her writing or even see her writing because he's 'not interested in that stuff'. So she's decided that this also means he's not interested in her earners and she has gone and set up her own bank account and isn't even going to tell him she has earned anything. Apparently he's found out and is having a hissy fit ... I personally find the whole thing hilarious.

by on May. 8, 2016 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 8, 2016 at 2:41 AM
I feel bad for her. She's obviously passionate about it. It would be terrible to have your partner tell you to never talk about it.
Nikidu
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this

*big eyes/fluttery lashes* but baby, you weren't interested in my "writing stuff" so I assumed you wouldn't want to talk about this! 

TG3
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 2:44 AM

For a lot of us it's a very isolating world. I run a international publishing company and have 9 books published myself and my mother still asks me when I'm going to go back to nursing. Apparently I can write when I'm retired.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I feel bad for her. She's obviously passionate about it. It would be terrible to have your partner tell you to never talk about it.

silverflash
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2016 at 2:44 AM

Good for her but, will her money be protected if they divorce?

TG3
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 2:46 AM

Honestly I don't know ... I'm in Australia and she's in the UK, once it leaves our bank account for hers I don't know what the rules are.

Quoting silverflash:

Good for her but, will her money be protected if they divorce?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 2:52 AM
I'm curious how your business works.

What kind of stuff does she write about?
TG3
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 2:58 AM

Writers send us manuscripts of their books ... we specialize in LGBT, romance, fantasy, and erotica. They go through a selection process and the ones that we want to publish we send a contract. We only contract publication rights for a period of 5 years so the author maintains rights to their work. We then get covers made, professinal editing, formating, printing. We also have a marketing and distribution division. 

This particular author write medical romance (like Grey's Anatomy sort of thing) which is a big genre in the UK. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm curious how your business works. What kind of stuff does she write about?

HeadOfCrazy
by Holls on May. 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM
He sounds super childish! Why would a man not take pride in his wife for such a big accomplishment!
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 3:08 AM
Men are stooopid. Js
TG3
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 3:10 AM

I'm ridiculously proud of her ... we're sending her to a romance writers convention in Vegas and I think I'm going to upgrade her to a suite. I was supposed to go as well but I'll be 36 weeks pregnant so I'm going to use my Frequent Flyers to pamper her a bit.

Quoting HeadOfCrazy: He sounds super childish! Why would a man not take pride in his wife for such a big accomplishment!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)