• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? She says things strictly to antagonize him

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

DS 7 is on the spectrum. If you tell him something like *This shirt is blue* when the shirt is clearly red, it upsets him, because that shirt is NOT blue, it's red. That's very common for kids on the spectrum to be upset over things like that.

DD 5 has caught onto this. So she purposely does shit to upset him. She'll say things like the example above just to upset him.

She'll know full well what she is saying is wrong and she only does it to upset DS. When I ask her why she does that she says she doesn't know.

She did it again this morning so she is now not allowed to talk to or play with DS until she can stop saying things only to upset him. I know her and I know she is doing this only to upset him because she's being a bully.

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Punish her every time until she realizes she is being cruel and cannot continue to do that.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes call her out on it and tell her it is NOT OK to pick on her brother. I'd tell her that is what bullies do!!

I think a good way to separate them would be to take him out for a treat and leave her with dad or a sitter😉 and tell her she can come when she drops the bullying.
honeyrder
by on May. 8, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Punish her. I doubt she feels punished by not being allowed to be around her brother.
My brother-in-law used to do the same to my son to the point where he was screaming. He thought it was funny. Maybe his parents could have done something differently when he was a kid.
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM
My 5 year old used to do that to my 8 year old who is ASD. I sat her down and had a chat with her and told her if she continued to say things just to get her brother worked up, she would be punished. She got a time out and missed out on an outing while ds got to go out one time because of that and I think that got through to her because she doesn't do it any more .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Its kinda like when a member quotes another member and says something they think will upset the member..

Just tell your ds to get a thicker skin, he will need it when he is an adult.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM
I say stop antagonizing your sibling. Make them apologize, put them in time out and if it continues I take things and privileges away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Ds does that, I didn't realize that was on a spectrum?
lancet98
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM

What would I do?  I'd punish the girl, but I'd also work on getting my autistic child to the point where he didn't get upset at such things.  It is possible to do both.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Time out each and every time and I would make her do one nice thing for him every time, whether it's picking up his toys or helping him do something. Also, ahe wouldn't be allowed to speak unless what came out of her mouth was nice. I have zero tolerance for bullying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Smack her in the mouth for being an asshole.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)