Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

women who keep having babies and..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

I wanted to know how people feel about, women who have their first child & find out they & their DH passed on a genetic illness, and keeping having kids when they can't afford genetic testing.

For example I have relatives whose parents both carried the XP gene and 2 of the 3 kids had XP and died in their early 20's.

Do you look down on women who do this?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Well, ultimately it's their choice to continue having children. Depending on what I was potentially passing on, I might stop having children, like if I had something like ADAD, I would probably not continue having more kids, I would feel terrible passing that on. Dh has a genetic disease, but even if I turned out to be a carrier the chances of it being passed on to our children are still pretty small. I dont think I'm a carrier. Either way, it's a manageable disease that won't necessarily kill them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM
4 moms liked this

I think that at least half of the female population should be legally prohibited from having children.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM
I carry cystic fibrosis and I'm on baby 5. All have been born healthy though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM

yes

kcangel63
by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no opinion. It's their family and their choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM
4 moms liked this
Don't be sexist. At least half the male population shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, either. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I think that at least half of the female population should be legally prohibited from having children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Is your husband a carrier, also?

Quoting Spam72: I carry cystic fibrosis and I'm on baby 5. All have been born healthy though.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I carry a genetic illness and didnt even think about it when I had my son. He has been tested  since and is clear of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM

I have NF1. I had two kids. now thankfully I am in canada. and we didnt have to pay a dime for genetic testing, both kids DON'T have it. or any other genetic condition/diease.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Nope
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)