Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do braxton hicks feel like?

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'm 29 weeks along with twins, second pregnancy. First pregnancy I'm pretty sure I never had a Braxton hicks contraction - or any contractions, ever. I was a scheduled section (long story).

So now that I keep getting stomach pains, back pains, just general uncomfortable feelings in the stomach area sometimes I don't know if it is regular pregnancy discomfort, regular pregnancy pains and stretching or Braxton hicks?

What did they feel like to you? Was it hard to identify or very obvious?

by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on May. 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM
I never had those with any of my three pregnancies.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM
They feel like someone is compressing your stomach, that your abs are clenching involuntarily. They can hurt or not and come and go; when they start, drink 16 oz of water and relax with your feet up and they should stop.
BaltimoreBaby
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
I very well may not, too. I dunno. I do know I get super uncomfortable in the stomach sometimes. Sometimes my back aches - but that could all be just normal aches and pains from having a growing stomach.

My stupid pregnancy app also keeps saying things like "you're most likely experiencing more frequent Braxton hicks contractions now" and I'm like... Am I?

Quoting Pink.Sunshine: I never had those with any of my three pregnancies.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on May. 8, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Every lady is different. My water never broke prior to contractions. My contractions felt nothing like period cramps, they felt like gas. I guess those Apps give you an idea, but they can't say for certain that you'll experience everything in the App.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: I very well may not, too. I dunno. I do know I get super uncomfortable in the stomach sometimes. Sometimes my back aches - but that could all be just normal aches and pains from having a growing stomach. My stupid pregnancy app also keeps saying things like "you're most likely experiencing more frequent Braxton hicks contractions now" and I'm like... Am I?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM

feels like a tightening that goes away... if you rest and they go away, probably Braxton Hicks...

some pain can come from your ligaments stretching, etc.

make sure you're not dehydrated, that can bring on some issues, too

BaltimoreBaby
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM
That's actually super accurate to what I'm feeling. I'll be walking around and suddenly my stomach will feel like I got a major case of trapped gas. It's super gross, but I feel like I need to rip a huge fart lol -

And I shift around trying to get the gas to move, and it sometimes is, sometimes isn't - so maybe that is a Braxton hicks. Ha

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Every lady is different. My water never broke prior to contractions. My contractions felt nothing like period cramps, they felt like gas. I guess those Apps give you an idea, but they can't say for certain that you'll experience everything in the App.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: I very well may not, too. I dunno. I do know I get super uncomfortable in the stomach sometimes. Sometimes my back aches - but that could all be just normal aches and pains from having a growing stomach.

My stupid pregnancy app also keeps saying things like "you're most likely experiencing more frequent Braxton hicks contractions now" and I'm like... Am I?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM
It's a tightness that can be felt across your belly. Feel your belly when normal and notice how much give there is when you press. During braxton hicks or contractions it changes and becomes much harder.
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on May. 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM
It felt like my belly was being constricted... It got really hard and tight for a bit then went away. It wasn't painful for me.. But I remember the feeling very well.
BaltimoreBaby
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM
I'll do that, thanks

Quoting Anonymous 2: It's a tightness that can be felt across your belly. Feel your belly when normal and notice how much give there is when you press. During braxton hicks or contractions it changes and becomes much harder.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on May. 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM

ahhh sounds like you may have experienced them. My contractions felt like gas that was so painful, I couldn't talk or walk through them.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: That's actually super accurate to what I'm feeling. I'll be walking around and suddenly my stomach will feel like I got a major case of trapped gas. It's super gross, but I feel like I need to rip a huge fart lol - And I shift around trying to get the gas to move, and it sometimes is, sometimes isn't - so maybe that is a Braxton hicks. Ha
Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: I very well may not, too. I dunno. I do know I get super uncomfortable in the stomach sometimes. Sometimes my back aches - but that could all be just normal aches and pains from having a growing stomach. My stupid pregnancy app also keeps saying things like "you're most likely experiencing more frequent Braxton hicks contractions now" and I'm like... Am I?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)