Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be crazy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

to roadtrip by myself with 2 kids about 1500 miles?

I live in Texas and all my family is in California. We moved from there 5 years ago. I go back to visit once every year or 2. I usually fly. Or if my husband can come with me, we will roadtrip it. But this year he can't go. I hate flying. But it gets you there a lot faster. But driving would be cheaper. Like half the cost of flying. But its 2 whole days of driving. I have never driven that far by myself. My husband has always gone with me. He is not comfortable with me going that far by myself with the kids. I think I can do it. But it will by exhausting. But I think it would be somewhat fun too. My husband thinks I am crazy to even consider it. He think I should just fly. 

What do you think? Would you or have you gone that far by yourself and with kids? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on May. 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM
I'd fly just to save the time.
olivejuice2
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM
How old are the kids? Makes a big difference if they're younger than 5 or older than 10
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not take the train, it's better then driving plus you get some nice scenery!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Realistically thats probably better option. Financially tho, it will cost me twice as much to fly then it will be to just drive there. I just hate the hassles of flying. And I would still have to rent a car once I am there. But driving is more exhausting and time consuming. 

Quoting Ted1242: I'd fly just to save the time.

jenifer4000
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM
We drive it every year. It takes us about 31 hours. I've driven from Texas to Florida (Orlando) straight thru with the kids alone before. That trip was 24 hours,
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM
I'd fly before doing highways. I hate highways so much.

My friend drove from Georgia to ohio by herself, with her 18 month old. She got a dvd player for her daughter for the trip, to make it easier for her daughter. I don't remember how long a drive it was. The worst part for her was not having an adult to talk to and help keep her awake, so stopping and getting out of the car frequently was necessary, as was stopping and sleeping at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

One is 13 and the other is only 3 years old. My 3 year old does great in the car tho. I flew out to CA last year and then my husband drove out with the car and we roadripped back. She did great. My 13 year old was a terror in the car at that age lol. 

Quoting olivejuice2: How old are the kids? Makes a big difference if they're younger than 5 or older than 10

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM
Do it you'll be fine and it will be a great experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM

I have a hard time doing road trips by myself, especially if it's somewhere I haven't been before, or through horrendous city traffic..  just be sure your vehicle is trip worthy, you have emergency stuff planned.. go well rested, plan breaks... and for me, it's easier to leave in the evening or very very early in the morning.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM
I drove 1600 miles with my boys when they were little. Lots of breaks at places with play places. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)