• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cast iron pan?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My grandma said no home is complete without one. So she gave me one. Yay! But...now what do I do with it? Can I use it like my "normal" ones? Do I do something special with it? Make special things in it? I feel dumb but I don't want my grandma to feel I'm ungrateful.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

You don't put it in the dishwaser...  Season it...  Don't let it stay wet...  Season it...  It's best for frying and searing...

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on May. 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM
I LOVE cast iron. It gives the food a taste you can't get without. Pork chops are especially fantastic, you can make cobblers, pretty much anything. You can't wash them with soap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Google it.
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:41 PM
Don't use soap to clean it, only water. Dry it, rub olive oil on it, put it away.
I love mine. I like to sautee veges, layer potatoes on top with some cheese, put it all right in the oven & bake.
Bitemebetty
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Season it ( google if you do not know how) and just cook in it. When done clean it up and then you want to dry it, I put it on the burner on low and then lightly oil.

kmeow
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM
You can make anything in it. I would avoid cooking anything acidic, particularly tomatoes, if they're going to be cooked for a long time, like simmering a marinara for hours. It can sometimes make the sauce taste slightly iron-y.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I use it for anything I would use a skillet to cook in. After a while it's basically non stick.
You actually can use a small amount of a gentle soap like Dawn when needed.
The no soap was for when soap still had lye in it. I do it all the time and it stays nice and non stick. Just make sure you oil it and heat it after. If you like cooking, you'll appreciate your cast iron skillet.
stacey541
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM
If its an old pan, don't use it if you have a glass top stove, it can break the glass. I only use the oven with mine due to this.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM
Do not put it in the dishwasher or clean it with soap and always oil it up after each use. I also season it (thin layer of oil then heated in the oven) to create a good patina.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM
I've been using mine on glass top for many years with no issue. Not even a scratch.

Quoting stacey541: If its an old pan, don't use it if you have a glass top stove, it can break the glass. I only use the oven with mine due to this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)