• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking niece to Scotland even though she didn't finish college

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
We promised my niece when she was 14 that we would take her to Scotland when she graduates college.

Once she got to college she discovered that they also offered certification for truck driving. She decided to go that route and instead of finishing college, she got certified to do that.

We are still taking her to Scotland. We brought it up today at brunch and her mom isn't happy about it.

She spoke to us privately and said she really didn't approve of us doing it since niece didn't hold up her end of the bargain.

I think she did. No she didn't finish college but she set a goal, achieved it, and is now a fully contributing member of society. That's good in my book.

I know her mom's opinion doesn't really matter but it made me sad she feels her dds career choice isn't deserving of a reward. I'm proud that she stuck to something and is doing what she wants to do.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM
Its your choice.
NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on May. 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Can I come? Please??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
On one condition, you're paying for everyone's tickets ;)

Quoting NiamhWitch: Can I come? Please??
readyforhim
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM

If you are paying and ok with her decision, she is old enough to travel without mom's ok. 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you. She did what she needed to do to get a career and that is what matters. Some people just can't get over that not everyone wants or needs to go to college in order to have a successful life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Her moms opinion doesn't matter? Way to teach her it's ok to break a promise because she will still get what she wants

Wasn't the deal if she graduates she gets to go? She didn't hold up her end
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 4:13 PM
So she should have given up what she loved and makes money at to get a free trip to Scotland? She wasn't even aware we were still offering it since it hasn't been brought up until today.

And no her mom's opinion doesn't matter. She's am adult, lives by herself and it's our money being spent. Not sure where mom fits in.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Her moms opinion doesn't matter? Way to teach her it's ok to break a promise because she will still get what she wants

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM
The girl is an adult now so no it really doesn't as mom can't put a stop to it.

College isn't for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Her moms opinion doesn't matter? Way to teach her it's ok to break a promise because she will still get what she wants

NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on May. 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM
Haha.:-P

Going to Scotland aand Ireland is a dream of mine. My BIL and SIL went to Scotland last year for their honeymoon. I made them a Scotland-themed travel journal. I shared pictures of it here on CM... let me see if I can find the thread...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/20763518/Latest_project_complete_VERY_picture_heavy?use_mobile=0

There we go!

Anyway, I agree with you.

Quoting Anonymous 1: On one condition, you're paying for everyone's tickets ;)

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Wouldn't it be epic if a bunch of us got together, planned a trip to Scotland so we could get the group rate, and met a bunch of CMers over there for tea or Ale?  I would love that!  I dream big though, so....  LOL

Quoting NiamhWitch: Haha.:-P Going to Scotland aand Ireland is a dream of mine. My BIL and SIL went to Scotland last year for their honeymoon. I made them a Scotland-themed travel journal. I shared pictures of it here on CM... let me see if I can find the thread... http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/20763518/Latest_project_complete_VERY_picture_heavy?use_mobile=0 There we go! Anyway, I agree with you.
Quoting Anonymous 1: On one condition, you're paying for everyone's tickets ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)