Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math help?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Best free online study guides and test preps for placement tests? Maybe even to be extra help during a math course? Or if it's worth paying for them which one?

When I took the accuplacer I didn't score high enough to start at college level courses. It indicated I needed one remedial course. The thing is math is actually one of my stronger subjects but I haven't used this shit in 10 years. So I'm confident in studying and re-learning it myself and retesting. Then continuing with a math course. The campus constantly recommends purple math.com which is free for some minimal instruction and small tests. After that it's like $200 a year. $50 for a month. I might as well take the remedial course for that price, but then it looks great for continuing to help with math. I want something like that.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM
Get a practice booklet and learn how to solve the problems on mathway.com.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM

You mean for the SAT or ACT?  The best study guide for SAT and ACT prep is the Black Book for ACT and SAT along with the official practice tests from the College Board and ACT.  You can get them from amazon.  Kahn Academy tutorials on prealgebra, algebra 1 and 2.  SAT and ACT will only have algebra 2 math, nothing higher and kahn academy is free and self paced.  There is a strategy with taking the ACT and SAT and it isn't about drilling and practicing hard math questions.  My daughter used the Black Book to study for the ACT and when she retook it she scored a 33 over her initial 28.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM
No I mean accuplacer. Because it's been so long since I've been in school I have to take the placement test at the county college. I believe it was mainly the pre algebra that I have forgotten how to do. I scored great on most of the test. Just barely too low to start at college level courses.
I will check that out. Thank you! I just need some refreshers. I've forgotten the basics of how to do some of this is all.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You mean for the SAT or ACT?  The best study guide for SAT and ACT prep is the Black Book for ACT and SAT along with the official practice tests from the College Board and ACT.  You can get them from amazon.  Kahn Academy tutorials on prealgebra, algebra 1 and 2.  SAT and ACT will only have algebra 2 math, nothing higher and kahn academy is free and self paced.  There is a strategy with taking the ACT and SAT and it isn't about drilling and practicing hard math questions.  My daughter used the Black Book to study for the ACT and when she retook it she scored a 33 over her initial 28.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Get a practice booklet and learn how to solve the problems on mathway.com.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM
Bump
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM

http://www.amazon.com/ACCUPLACER-Mathematics-Exam-Secrets-Workbook/dp/1627336958/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/ACCUPLACER%C2%AE-Millers-College-Placement-Preparation/dp/0738606731/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462745252&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=accuplacer+official+book

Take a look at these two study prep books.  I'd focus on these books along with kahn academy and doing practice tests on the college board site.

https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login

GOOD LUCK!

Quoting Anonymous 1: No I mean accuplacer. Because it's been so long since I've been in school I have to take the placement test at the county college. I believe it was mainly the pre algebra that I have forgotten how to do. I scored great on most of the test. Just barely too low to start at college level courses. I will check that out. Thank you! I just need some refreshers. I've forgotten the basics of how to do some of this is all.
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

http://www.amazon.com/ACCUPLACER-Mathematics-Exam-Secrets-Workbook/dp/1627336958/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/ACCUPLACER%C2%AE-Millers-College-Placement-Preparation/dp/0738606731/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462745252&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=accuplacer+official+book

Take a look at these two study prep books.  I'd focus on these books along with kahn academy and doing practice tests on the college board site.

https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login

GOOD LUCK!

Quoting Anonymous 1: No I mean accuplacer. Because it's been so long since I've been in school I have to take the placement test at the county college. I believe it was mainly the pre algebra that I have forgotten how to do. I scored great on most of the test. Just barely too low to start at college level courses.
I will check that out. Thank you! I just need some refreshers. I've forgotten the basics of how to do some of this is all.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Khan academy
asnmdirteha
by Member on Jun. 14, 2016 at 2:24 AM

Great resource that I have been using for my students is Beestar High School. It has a great SAT preparation program that gives students weekly assignments and builds upon what they learn from the beginning. Another great reason I consistently use Beestar is the fact that they have a wide range of topics that I can use a supplemetal to what I teach my afterschool students. A lot of my students have responded great to Beestar's structure and received higher scores in both placement tests and subject tests at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)