Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL upset I am taking DD to Unitarian Universalist Church

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My MIL came with me to a Unitarian Universalist church service. I have been going for a few months and just started bringing my daughter. I really like the core principals and acceptance they teach. I feel like I have finally found a community that shares my values and I want my daughter to be a part of it. My DH hates religion, is an atheist and doesn't want any part of it. He has left her spiritual life in my hands and is not bothered in the slightest that I take her. MIL is a devout Christian. I am Christian but extremely liberal in my beliefs. With these differing beliefs the UU church will help give her a framework to make sense of all the differing beliefs in her family and use reason to decide for herself.

Anyway - what I think is best for my daughter is my decision. My MIL freaked out because they told a story that was not Christian in origin - prefacing it with the fact that people believe different things and this is one story people believe in. She told me she wanted to cart my daughter out of there and would never set foot in there again. She called it a cult - which it is NOT. She is very upset I am going to take my daughter there.

Anyone else have a similar situation? How did you handle it?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2016 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell MIL to mind her own business. She didn't help bring the child into the world she gets zero say on how it's raised.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM
Talk to MIL explain she did what she chose while raising your dh . Now it's your turn . While you respect her choices and thoughts you refuse to listen to her. Ask her to please refra from talking about religion with you .
lalalamama
by on May. 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM
If tell her to discuss it with her son and leave me alone.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Explain to your MIL that by her logic, all religions are cults.

JadeHope
by Jade on May. 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM
My mil is Catholic and was always passed that we aren't. My husband do hasn't been Catholic for years before we met but it never came up until we got married and started raising our son. We told her to shove it and after six months of no communication she got the message.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM
She'd just have to get over it and I'd tell her exactly that.
ShaMac
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM
I'd tell her to get over it. Or maybe start making noises about converting and becoming Jewish. That would probably get her to calm her tits over inclusive Christianity.

I like UU. They are pretty mellow. You could also try Presbyterian. Did you know they started allowing homosexual pastors ages ago and were one of the first to start performing SS marriages.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Tell her to fuck off or shut up!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Tell her to fuck off or shut up!
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM

I'd tell your MIL that she is your daughter not hers and to butt out if she wishes to have a relationship with you and her granddaughter.  I've been to a UU church.  Too religiony for my tastes.  But it is not a cult, just extremely tolerant.  Which is very good.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)