Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Down syndrome sister

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I'm 11 months older than my younger sister, and for as long as I can remember, she has been the priority. She has Down syndrome, and everything our parents had and did was for her. She had a rough life already, so she got nice clothes, while I got thrift store clothes and her old clothes, she outgrew me by the time I was 9ish. She went to a private school, I went to public school. She was in various activities and groups, I wasn't able to do anything. When it came to food, she got good, healthy food, while I often had microwavable dinners, ramen, or boxed mac and cheese. I was constantly told that I had to take care of her, that it would be my responsibility to take care of her when our parents were gone, that what I wanted was irrelevant because she always had to come first.

I left home at 18 and never looked back. I went to college on scholarships and a grant. I got married, had kids, and haven't seen my parents or their daughter since I left.

Every few months, my mother will reach out and send me a letter about how she hopes I've come to my senses and will now rejoin the family. Her last letter was all about how they're getting older and they need me to start participating in caring for their daughter.

I wrote her back and told her that I'm sorry for her situation, but I have a life and a family of my own, and to please leave me alone. I want nothing to do with any of them.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry they did that. Your parents sound atrocious. Good riddance to bad rubbish there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Sure. We totally believe this.
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:28 AM

I can't imagine a parent doing that. I am so sorry. I wouldn't want anything to do with them either. 

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:30 AM
Can't say I blame you. I'd do the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:31 AM
My high school best friend went through the same. Her older brother had down syndrome and she never got good stuff like he did. She often stayed at my house from constantly fighting with them. she left at 18 also moved out of state I miss her dearly. Sorry you had to go through that she hurt so much from it.
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on May. 30, 2016 at 1:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Why did your mom prepare food only for her? It would have been easier to cook for the entire family?
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on May. 30, 2016 at 1:38 AM
That sucks. My daughter's teammate has down syndrome sibling and she is awesome. At today's game she danced, while wearing her pink beats, while her parents cheered her sister in the game. She is a riot and you can tell her siblings adore her. It's tough to find that balance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Exactly, I don't believe it either. As the mother of two daughters, one of whom has DS, I try to give them the same so that nobody feels left out or cheated. If I can't afford both then neither get. There is no way a parent would make two meals with the express intention of making one feel bad. Ditto the clothing. 

Not a very good troll attempt.

Quoting iwicked: Why did your mom prepare food only for her? It would have been easier to cook for the entire family?

Newbie1
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Right!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Sure. We totally believe this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 30, 2016 at 6:09 AM

I don't blame you  : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)