Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of doctor?

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:46 AM
  • 20 Replies
My daughter is 3, and she doesn't sleep. it's been on going and worsening since about January. She started having night terrors in December, but now she just doesn't sleep. I've been tracking her sleep for a few weeks now, and at most, she'll sleep 7 hours in a 24 hour period, and that is not in a single stretch. We've tried every possible home remedy, OTC treatment, aids, everything google can tell us. We've talked to her pediatrician, tried to do a sleep study, but she has to actually sleep. She was recently diagnosed with seizures and will be seeing a neurologist in two weeks and I'll bring this up, but I don't even know what kind of doctor she'd need to see about this, and her pediatrician doesn't have any other ideas either. I'm honestly considering switching pediatricians, because I just feel she isn't taking this seriously.

Just to give an example, she woke up Saturday morning at 2am after sleeping about 2 hours. She slept 97 minutes Sunday during the day, and she just fell asleep about 20 minutes ago, it's 1:45. And this is the norm for her. During the day, she's fine. She doesn't act tired, she runs around, she's active. She does have these episodes where she'll suddenly just start screaming and crying and be inconsolable, until she stops. She had one such episode today, it lasted almost an hour.

I've posted about this in the advice group, but this is the most active group here, so I thought I'd take a chance. Any advice? What doctor might she need to see? I'm desperate, I'll take anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theboyfactory
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:49 AM
The neurologist is a good place to start actually.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:49 AM
I don't know about the sleep issue but I have a 3 year old and like yours she has fits where she cries (sometimes over an hour) and screams. She throws things and basically nothing I do helps. I just have to wait it out. Then when it's over she goes back to playing like nothing happened. I never know what's going to set her off or when. It's frustrating.
Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM
I've been trying to get a referral to one for a while, but the pediatrician wasn't taking it seriously. I really can't think of any other doctor who might have any insight.

Quoting theboyfactory: The neurologist is a good place to start actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theboyfactory
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:51 AM
Endocrinology would be my 2nd step.

Quoting Tiger_Mama: I've been trying to get a referral to one for a while, but the pediatrician wasn't taking it seriously. I really can't think of any other doctor who might have any insight.

Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:51 AM
She doesn't throw things, she'll just start sobbing and screaming. It comes out of nowhere. Today, it happened while she was watching a movie with her siblings. She was just sitting on the couch, it's a favorite movie she's seen many times before, and then she just starts crying and screaming, and doesn't stop until she's done.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know about the sleep issue but I have a 3 year old and like yours she has fits where she cries (sometimes over an hour) and screams. She throws things and basically nothing I do helps. I just have to wait it out. Then when it's over she goes back to playing like nothing happened. I never know what's going to set her off or when. It's frustrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:52 AM
That's a good idea! I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right, hormones could absolutely play a part. She has had lab work done, both by her pediatrician and the hospital when she was admitted for seizures this month and everything was totally normal, but an endocrinologist can go more in depth.

Quoting theboyfactory: Endocrinology would be my 2nd step.

Quoting Tiger_Mama: I've been trying to get a referral to one for a while, but the pediatrician wasn't taking it seriously. I really can't think of any other doctor who might have any insight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:58 AM

Find a new pediatrician.  A doctor who doesn't take you seriously about something like this is a quack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 1:59 AM

she's had siezures and not seen a neurologist?  

Quoting Tiger_Mama: That's a good idea! I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right, hormones could absolutely play a part. She has had lab work done, both by her pediatrician and the hospital when she was admitted for seizures this month and everything was totally normal, but an endocrinologist can go more in depth.

Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 2:00 AM
I think we really are going to. Part of me has been hoping she'll just outgrow this, but it's only getting worse.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Find a new pediatrician.  A doctor who doesn't take you seriously about something like this is a quack.

Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 2:01 AM
She was admitted when they started, she saw a neurologist while in the hospital. This will be her first outpatient visit.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

she's had siezures and not seen a neurologist?  

Quoting Tiger_Mama: That's a good idea! I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right, hormones could absolutely play a part. She has had lab work done, both by her pediatrician and the hospital when she was admitted for seizures this month and everything was totally normal, but an endocrinologist can go more in depth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)