Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should this mom have done more?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

My friend's neighborhood was having a Memorial Day block party and she invited me & my 2 kids (11 & 14).

At one point in the evening the kids were throwing water balloons and my friend's daughter (12 y/o) ran out of balloons so she went inside her house and got chocolate milk, coke & pepper and poured it all over my son.  When I saw him I was PISSED.  It was gross, he now couldn't stay at the party like that, and he was wearing brand new clothing.

At first I thought he participated and I came down on him for it, then my daughter said, no, it was all the doing of my friend's daughter (who has ADHD/impulse control problems).

So my friend got up to go talk to her daughter and when she came back she said, "I talked to 'Jane' about how inappropriate this was."  But her general attitude was that this wasn't a big deal.  She did not have her daughter apologize to either my son or me and did not offer to throw his clothes in the wash.  She just went back to sitting with the other ladies (who were averting their eyes from me and I think were glad it wasn't their kid).

So I left my daughter at the party (she was having fun & I was trying not to create drama), and took my son home and we immediatly threw his clothes in the washer and he showered and he decided to just stay home.  I also stayed at home for 10-15 minutes to just try to cool off because I was so pissed.  When I got back my friend kind of made reference to what happened, but again, like it was all in fun.

Am I making too much of this?  I otherwise really like this friend and we have friends in common so I didn't want to burn bridges but I really felt like WTF?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 5:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I would have just been honest and said how I felt.
grannie_kel
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 5:32 AM
I don't see it as that big a deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 5:32 AM
I would have told her "wtf not cool" and continue on with the day.
jjames1990
by on May. 30, 2016 at 5:32 AM
That sounds like my DD when she was a child. (She has some issues that have improved with adulthood )She always had to take things up a notch because she didn't want the fun to end or to be left out. She did some really stupid things.

I would have hosed my son off, and do tied with the party. After I told the mother that it wasn't appreciated. I never minded when someone called my DD out for her behavior because I knew she was horrible sometimes.
Marivilla
by on May. 30, 2016 at 5:33 AM
I would have been furious. They're 12 not fucking toddlers. She should have at least yelled at her daughter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 5:34 AM
Shit, my son got sucker punched and kicked by some girls, and all their mother did (and my son's father!) was brush it off, saying kids play rough...

I hate lazy parenting.

DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM
I understand why I'm the heat of the moment you were mad. But in the end it's not a big deal, really.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 30, 2016 at 5:55 AM
Personally it sounds like playing gone wrong. Your friend's dd took it to the next level trying to be funny. So yes the mom should have at least offered an apology on her dd's behalf if she wasn't gonna make her apologize. Your friend should have also offered up some clean clothes, shower and washing machine.

This is not something to ruin a friendship over, but I'm guessing she's not your best friend
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 30, 2016 at 6:12 AM
Her DD should have apologized to your son. I don't think there is anything else to be done. Remember, her mom didn't do this to you. It was an incident between 2 kids, and kids do stupid things like this because they are kids. Getting dirty is not a huge deal to them.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 6:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I would have been falling over apologizing to you and your kid.
So I think that she handled it poorly, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)