Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I shot a gun in front of my child

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies

We were in the mountains miles away fom other folks. DS wore earmuffs, but wasn't allowed to fire anything. AT 5, he hisn't quite ready to handle anything just yet. He stayed with another adult while we were shooting.I'm sure I'm going to be told I'm a horrible parent. At what age would you feel comfortable with your kids shooting? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Never but that's just me.
razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on May. 30, 2016 at 9:23 AM
My kids were shooting at 5 or 6 years old with adult supervision. My daughter her first gun for her 13th birthday and my son will too for his.
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on May. 30, 2016 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Our kids have been shooting since about the age of 3. (Rabbit hunting and target practice).

No need to justify your choices to internet strangers.
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Same.

Quoting owl0210: Never but that's just me.
CABZS
by Sapphire Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Eh my kids have been at the shooting range since birth really. I have no issue with this and honestly I would've shown him but then like I said, they've practically grown up at the shooting range.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

We were in the mountains miles away fom other folks. DS wore earmuffs, but wasn't allowed to fire anything. AT 5, he hisn't quite ready to handle anything just yet. He stayed with another adult while we were shooting.I'm sure I'm going to be told I'm a horrible parent. At what age would you feel comfortable with your kids shooting? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 AM

I guess when my kids can handle firearms and understand what it is to use them, then they can. My nephew is 6 and shoots. He was raised in Arkansas. lol. 

I don't see anything wrong with it. teaches discipline and focus.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 AM
DS has been shooting since around 4yo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:26 AM
My kids started on BB guns at age 4 and .22s by age 5 or 6.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:27 AM

At least whatever age is legal in my state.  We're not a gun enthusiast family, and have no interest so it's a moot point. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 30, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Very cool! We have a .22 rifle, but DS is still a little immature in our opinion. Maybe after he starts kindergarten and matures a bit we'll feel more comfortable. 

Quoting razorbackfan: My kids were shooting at 5 or 6 years old with adult supervision. My daughter her first gun for her 13th birthday and my son will too for his.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)