Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you got the chance to up & move across country, would you? Which city?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: A family of 3 living on $85,000 a year. (We can go about 1 hour away from city mentioned. This is where the work is, we just need to be close enough to commute) Where should we move?

Options:

Houston, Texas

Mt Verno, Washington,

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Bloomfield, New Jersey

Henderson, Nevada

Stay in Illinois

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

We currently live in Illinois and got an offer for my husband to transfer to a different location for work.

We both have lived in Illinois our whole life, and thought it would be nice to raise our kids in a different part of the country at least for a few years!  However, factoring in cost of living and schools and stuff I'm torn.

I've always wanted to live near the ocean, so Texas and  Louisiana would be amazing!

I have never done well in really hot weather though, so I worry about the adjustment and might prefer Washington state, which I've actually been to and LOVED.  It is BEAUTIFUL there.

The whole northeast is foreign to me and I'd love to visit, built the COS is very high (I'm told) 

Thoughts? Suggestions?  Have you every has the chance to start over in a different party of the country? Would you take it?

My husband keeps thinking we should just stay put, we're close to family and friends and we know the area, but I say we can always come home after 2 years, and it can lead to bigger, and more opportunities in other parts of the country later, and maybe even in other countries!

Life is too short to stay in 1 place forever, i want my daughter to know, experience, and see more than we did growing up

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jodee24
by Sliceoflife on May. 30, 2016 at 9:28 AM
Not NJ. Lol. Sorry. Hate it here
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 30, 2016 at 9:30 AM
Houston is awful. I voted for Washington.
bookaddict88
by on May. 30, 2016 at 9:30 AM
My DH and I tall about moving to Washington or Oregon all the time.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:31 AM

The only city out of the list I know well is Henderson, NV.  We lived in Las Vegas for a couple of years and I absolutely loved it.  We only moved back to be closer to family.  It took me years to get over having moved back to California.  I really loved the desert climate.  It can get hot, but it's a dry heat and you learn to live in it.  

We're contemplating a move to Texas in the next year or two.  We'd be situated somewhere between San Antonio and Houston.  The humidity is such a horrible thing though that I'm really dreading it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:31 AM
Do not move to nj or Nevada
happymomof2
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:32 AM
We have a chance to move to Idaho for 2 years. We are in Virginia now. I told my husband we should be crazy and do it. I'd be able to take my kids to all the cool places out in the West, that they wouldn't be able to see, otherwise. It will be an adventure!!!
laceybird
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM
I live in Washington and love it!

I know Mt. Vernon and it's nasty! The schools are awful! Anacortes is beautiful, has great schools and parks and is really close to Mt. Vernon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Loved living near Seattle, so if Inwere you I'd pick Washington State.
o.O....
by Cara on May. 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM
That's the most depressing list I've ever seen.
Momma2SandS
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2016 at 10:29 AM
I've lived In Washington my whole life... :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)