Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I explain to my husband?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
My husband and I have had discussions about me having a retirement plan. I'm self employed so u have to put money back on my own. My husband says I don't need it because he has an amazing retirement and life insurance also he says I don't need to work. Which I don't but I don't feel comfortable being completely dependent on a man. What if something happens between us and I'm screwed. I'm not trying to say that something will but I don't want to ever feel that j can't leave because I have nothing. I was trapped with my ex husband for years because if that reason and my current husband can't understand my need to be able to take care of myself. How can I explain it to him where he can understand?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM
I don't think you can make him really understand. By nature, most men, want to be the provider. And in his mind I'm sure he sees nothing that could ever ruin your marriage or happen that you would NEED to be financially stable yourself.

Just keep doing what your doing.
mollyk124
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM
You'd get half of his retirement.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on May. 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM
Tell him if you put money into your retirment that mean more money for you both later on in life to do more things with.
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Why does he need to know about the money? Most women have hidden money. Even us with solid relationships. I think it's a female trait. Like a nesting practice. Compare it to mother squirrel gathering nuts. She doesn't care thAt there's already 200 acorns, its a natural urge to save stuff to make the future safer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)