Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's mad - what's new

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

My DH shares 50/50 custody of his DD whom just turned 18 yesterday. I have been taking her to school on my DH's time for the past couple of years. She just finished her junior year on Friday (she was held back in elementary school so she wont graduate until she is 19). Well my job hours have changed, I am no longer able to take SD to school on his time. DH told BM that next school year, we cant take her. BM is pissed and said that we need to find a way. I don't think so BM. SD is now 18 and if she still wants to keep the same schedule she will need to find a way herself from our house. BTW her school is in BMs district, which is less than 5 mins from BMs house. I had to drive 25 mins to get SD to school - it was omw to work so it wasn't an inconvenience. BM refused to let SD get her license until she turned 18, which she is now so she better get on that if she wants SD to drive herself around. We even have a car for SD, my old Camry that has just been sitting in our garage waiting for SD to get her license. SD knows about the situation and she said she is fine with staying at her mothers house, she said she can catch a ride with her friends or walk from there. BM told SD she cant stay with her on her dads time. WTF? How can you tell your DD she cant live with you full time? If the shoe was on the other foot we'd have no problem. Its not like she has to take SD or pick her up everyday...they are so close to the school.  BM texted DH that she is getting a lawyer and taking him back to court. The court order stated that custody ends when SD turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes first. IDK what to tell BM, she is being unreasonable.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Damali0812
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2016 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

LOl let he try and take him back to court then. Also can your DH help his kid get her liscence so she can still come visit and drive herself?

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on May. 30, 2016 at 3:04 PM

i'm sorry but if sd has school on the days you guys have her then it's YOUR responsibility make sure she gets to school. not hers. not her mothers. but the custodial parent.

BCauseImAwesome
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 3:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Why dont you guys just invite her to live with you and help her get her license? She already has a car from you guys, she can drive herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM

I would be taking her myself to get her license, technically the girl is of age and mommy dearest doesn't get a say with that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 3:11 PM

I would bet money that the other side of this story would be far different.

But no matter what, parenting doesn't jsut stop at age 18. Does your dh seriously think that his dd who has another complete year of HS is just magically no longer his responsibilty because she turned 18? 

I don't care what a CO says, do parents really act this way? Why should she have to threaten to take him to court just to get him to continue parenting and letting his dd live with him for another school year?

Why has he not helped her learn how to drive so that she can get her liscense this summer? 

It seems like there are possible solutions to this other than " pack your shit, you are now 100% mom's job now that you are 18 "

My dd just turned 16 and her dad and I share 50/50. It is our hope that she will live at home for at least her first couple of years of college. I can't imagine either of us telling her she has to move completely in with the other at any time during HS or college. 

readyforhim
by Emerald Member on May. 30, 2016 at 3:14 PM

I would work with SD, if she is reasonable - bm should not go back to court about this. 

DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 3:15 PM
I'm failing to understand why she can't get a license and drive herself.

Your schedule changed. It happens.

Everyone in the household should chip in to create a new routine that works best for everyone.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Did you miss the part where it said custody ends at 18 or graduation, whichever comes FIRST? 

Quoting mojogirl:

i'm sorry but if sd has school on the days you guys have her then it's YOUR responsibility make sure she gets to school. not hers. not her mothers. but the custodial parent.

~*~ Diamepphyre ~*~

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM
This sounds reasonable.

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

Why dont you guys just invite her to live with you and help her get her license? She already has a car from you guys, she can drive herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 3:17 PM
You tried a little too hard on this one troll.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)