Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My apartment complex is forcing me to add it as a friend on Facebook!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Not, not really. But this is really happening in Utah. What would you do?

SALT LAKE CITY — Some tenants at a Salt Lake City apartment complex are fuming over a new lease agreement that requires tenants to “like” the complex on Facebook.

Tenants of the City Park Apartments told KSL that a “Facebook addendum” showed up taped to their doors Thursday night.

The contract requires tenants to friend the City Park Apartments on Facebook within five days, or be found in breach of the rental agreement, though some of the tenants already signed a lease agreement months ago.

The document also includes a release allowing the apartment to post pictures of tenants and their visitors on the page.

“I don’t want to be forced to be someone’s friend and be threatened to break my lease because of that,” tenant Jason Ring said. “It’s outrageous as far as I’m concerned.”

Ring said it’s the last straw; he’s moving out after the final month of his lease.

“It’s a violation of my privacy,” Ring added.

KSL’s calls to the attorneys for City Park Apartments were not returned Friday.

Zachary Myers, an attorney who specializes in tenant rights for Hepworth, Murray & Associates in Bountiful, said the contract addendum may not be fair to those who don't have or are unable to create Facebook accounts.

“The biggest issue that I have with it is that it seems to be discriminatory against elderly individuals and disabled individuals who are unable to utilize an online presence such as Facebook,” he said.

Myers said that if a lease is already signed, a tenant may not be required by law to sign a late add-on.

He added that if something like an add-on appears and a tenant is not comfortable with it, the tenant should not sign it because once signed, the tenant is bound to the contract unless a court says otherwise.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Just add them and then block them from your feed
iwilliams76
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

That's fucked up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM
The apartment complex is way over stepping and once they get sued they'll Back down!
JaeMommy07
by on May. 30, 2016 at 2:02 PM
What? Yeah no! I can't even imagine my apartment complex doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 2:02 PM
I would just tell them I can't afford internet and therefore do not have a facebook account.
ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM
How,absurd.
wine-thirty
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM
Ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 30, 2016 at 2:04 PM
That's horrible
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
If be upset over them taking a pic of me and my guests. That's an invasion of privacy.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM

That is messed up. I was going to say I might be tempted to just make a 2nd FB without any thing on it and "like" it if I were in that situation, but then I read the part about them posting pictures. Hell no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)