Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was kidnapped as a child.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

By my father. My parents have always had a very tumultuous marriage. I knew this at a pretty young age, but at the age of 4 I got to experience it first-hand. My parents had been fighting for days. My older sisters were usually really good at deflecting my attention when this happened. To be clear, I've never seen either of my parents hit each other. They just scream, well, Mom mostly screams and Dad responds. Dad is a VERY stoic person, a trait I've inherited. 

Well, Dad came to pick up my brother and I early from daycare one day, which I thought was weird because Mom usually picked us up. When I got to the car I saw one of our dressers tied to the roof of the car. Apparently we were going on a trip. Cool! But why isn't Mom and sisters coming? I don't think I got a clear answer to that, but I was only 4, so the world was big and confusing most of the time.

And off we went. We drove three states away to my dad's best friend's house. They are old family friends and we'd visited them before. They had kids my age and a baby my brother's age. I really just thought it was a vacation. I don't really remember being worried much about where Mom was. Not sure why. A few days later we drove to my grandma's house (mom's mom) who lived not far from the family friends. At some point during the trip we called Mom and she was crying and asking if I was ok, all of which I thought was very weird and it sorta freaked me out. Of course I was ok! We were on vacation and having a blast!

After two or three weeks we drove back home. I don't really remember anything that happened when we got back. A few years later I talked to my sisters about it. When Mom came home and found out her two youngest children and husband were gone she flipped out! They ended up at my aunt's house (dad's sister) who lived a town over from us and they pretty much stayed there the entire time we were gone. Apparently there was a lot of talk about calling the police, which I don't think ever happened.

I've never spoken to either of my parents about this. I think they think I don't remember it. And I don't think my brother knows any of this happened and probably wouldn't believe me if I told him.

As an adult and mother now I think about this every once in awhile and think how would I react if this happened to me, as the mom. Of course, this was well before the age of cell phones so it was different then. 

But what would you do if your husband took two of your children and you didn't know where they were for a few days?

For the record, my folks are still married. They still fought constantly but stayed married. It wasn't until all the kids finally left the nest that they finally seem to be enjoying each other and having a "normal" marriage.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on May. 30, 2016 at 3:38 PM
Your kidnapping sounds much more pleasant than what my son went through. lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. Is your son ok?

Quoting Ted1242: Your kidnapping sounds much more pleasant than what my son went through. lol

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on May. 30, 2016 at 4:04 PM
Yeah. He's good. He has no memory of it from what I know.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. Is your son ok?

Quoting Ted1242: Your kidnapping sounds much more pleasant than what my son went through. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
You weren't kidnapped. You went on a trip with one of your parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM
You were not really kidnapped. Your father did nothing illegal.

kid·nap
ˈkidˌnap/Submit
verb
past tense: kidnapped; past participle: kidnapped
take (someone) away illegally by force, typically to obtain a ransom.
synonyms: abduct, carry off, capture, seize, snatch, take hostage
"they attempted to kidnap the president's child"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM
My husband would NEVER put me through that. We/he also don't know anyone who would help him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Exactly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You weren't kidnapped. You went on a trip with one of your parents.
Tiger_Mama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM
That isn't a kidnapping, that's one parent taking you without talking to the other.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 30, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Yep. Come on.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Exactly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You weren't kidnapped. You went on a trip with one of your parents.
craazycuckoo
by on May. 30, 2016 at 4:11 PM

You drove around with a dresser tied to the roof?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)