Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bringing food to moms that just had a baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 387 Replies
My SIL just had her first baby a week ago. I texted her and let her know that dh and I would come see the baby when she felt comfortable with visitors.

MIL found out and asked why I didn't offer to do something for her, like cook her dinner. Apparently she is complaining because she is having trouble preparing meals and dealing with a newborn. I told MIL that I don't have time to prepare, cook, and drop off different meals throughout the day. Of course, according to them, I am being insensitive.

I have 3 kids (my youngest being 3mo and my oldest is in kindergarten), I work grave shift in a restaurant and right now a lot of my time is spent sleeping or trying to spend time with my kids.

I was told that it is customary to bring meals to New mothers to help them out. I have never heard of this before. Did you expect someone to prep you food and bring the food to you? Did anyone do it without you expecting it.

SIL sent me a list of foods she would like to eat. -_-
Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2016 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not expecting anyone to bring me food. Sure it would be nice, but I would never expect it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM
That's strange. I've heard of it but not being expected. No n one ever did for me but it would jave been nice to have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM
I take food to family/close friends if I have time. But no one expects it or feels entitled to food.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM
No one ever helped us like that, and I've been a new mom 6 times.

It would've been nice, though.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM
My mom brought us dinner the night we came home from the hospital, we were on our own after that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM
My family is old fashioned and still does that with new moms. It's not a thing people do anymore though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes it is custom to bring a prepared meal. I work full-time and have two kids so I don't have time to make two dinners. I usually just pick up a pizza when visiting a new Mother.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not expected, but it's done...  a LOT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:26 PM
That's odd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 30, 2016 at 9:26 PM
12 moms liked this
Its not hard to take care of a newborn. I've had two by c-section. People make things a lot more than they are.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)