Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Twice I lost a child at a public place, and I don't feel bad about it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 235 Replies
3 moms liked this

Why should I?  It happens to the best of us...

Sure in the moment fear settled in for a short spell, but I gathered myself quickly contacted security right away, and had my child back in my arms within the hour.

The first time was at the mall at a Children Day event in the food quarters, it was over-crowded and one of my five boys had to go to the bathroom.  I left the other four with their dad, and one of the boys decided to run after us without our knowledge.  After returning, I realized one was missing and got security.  They found him wandering around Sears on the other side of the mall.

The second time, we were at the zoo, and my second youngest snicked off while we were in the aquarium looking at reptiles to check out the monkeys.  He blended in with a school group of kindergartners and a parent chaperoning took him for one of her students.  Once I realized he was no longer  at the aquarium I summons a worker to call security, and they found him with the field trip kids.

Both incidents happened over four years ago, and I do not judge women that this happened to.

Has your child ever wandered off?

*no bashing or judging allowed*

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2016 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:02 PM
No I have never had this happen. But know it's very common.
2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:02 PM
4 moms liked this
I have never lost my kid in a public place and I would feel very bad about it if I did. It's not that hard to keep track of your children especially with both parents there.
Flurffy
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:04 PM
9 moms liked this
I won't say it'll never happen to me, but I'll defy your rules and say I'm certainly judging you for being so cavalier about it.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah at the zoo. We were walking with a bunch of people from our play group my son saw ducks and walked off. I didn't realize it for a few mins. I ran back and he was with the ducks we passed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:06 PM
No I would flip out. If I look to the left were the kid was and he's not there I almost have a heart attack in the time it takes to look to the right and find him again.
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM

We lost our son when he was 2 at the mall...  we were in one of those child play areas... the place had high walls and only one entrance... we positioned ourselves next the the entrance... everything should have been great! This play area also had pretty tall things to climb in and on and after awhile we hadn't seen him so we went to look for him... he wasn't there! We then noticed older children helping the little kids scale the wall... most of the kids would run around and come back in... not out son! Internally I was freaking out... it was probably only a few minutes but I was terrified... my son was and still is the kind of kind that will talk to anyone and has zero fear of strangers. THANKFULLY he's like a moth to light... we found him near by in an arcade looking at all the games.... we didn't allow him to play in a mall play area again for more than a year (we were slightly traumatized LOL)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My middle son ran off twice. He used to not have a care in the world and would RUN if he saw even the slightest opportunity. We had to resort to the "child leash" a few times.
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM
Twice with my oldest. Once at kohls and once at childrens museum. Peed my pants both times in a panic. She was "missing" a couple of minutes each time.
BionicBunny
by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:11 PM
3 moms liked this
That is scary. At least you found him and he didn't fall in the gorilla cage.
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 6 kids and I am constantly doing a head count and nope I've never lost any of them. I would feel like shit if I did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)