Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My disaster update

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:43 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

I live in Canada, but am a us citizen. I log on to my us bank account, zero balance. I freak out and call fraud protection. The IRS took all my money. No notice from them of any kind!!! I am meeting my accountant on Tuesday to sign my us taxes for 2015, not due until June 15 if you live abroad.

the IRS is not open till Monday, so I get to sit all weekend wondering what the fuck is going on and how much I owe and why they took my money without any notification.  Plus, I am going to NYC this week without a single US dollar. What a total shit show.

Update at the bottom of page 1

by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lolabearlow
by boxer momma on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM
Gotta love the irs...best of luck.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Oh dear, that is a disaster!

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:38 AM

I am so scared. I can't get any answers until Monday either. I always file and always do everything to make sure it is all good. I don't cut corners or look for loopholes. I got no notice that this was happening! None

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:40 AM
What assholes! A mix up on their end most likely and you'll have to wait to get it back. Without interest. Ugh. I'm so sorry.
Salut123
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Living in Canada has been such a nightmare on taxes, but this takes the prize. No notice that I owed any money! I pay every year, I paid my taxes as far as I know last year. I have a call into my  trustee to see if everything was paid in full.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What assholes! A mix up on their end most likely and you'll have to wait to get it back. Without interest. Ugh. I'm so sorry.

heydooney
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:16 AM
That sucks. You don't have a cash stash at home for emergencies? Would your bank give you an emergency loan? Ours offers stuff like that. I hope you get it figured out quickly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:16 AM
I really this all works out well for you. I really hope your trustee isn't to blame too. It sounds messy either way.

Quoting Salut123:

Living in Canada has been such a nightmare on taxes, but this takes the prize. No notice that I owed any money! I pay every year, I paid my taxes as far as I know last year. I have a call into my  trustee to see if everything was paid in full.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What assholes! A mix up on their end most likely and you'll have to wait to get it back. Without interest. Ugh. I'm so sorry.

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:18 AM
Ugh, good luck.
Salut123
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM

I have my Canadian accounts, I'm fine. It is just especially annoying because I am going to NYC on Monday and use that account when I go to america because of the exchange rate.

im more hurt by my sisters reaction when I called her all stressed out. She said"it sounds like poor planning on your part" seriously??? Obviously I would not just ignore a letter from the IRS! And the IRS has mailed me stuff recently in Canada, so they have my address!

Quoting heydooney: That sucks. You don't have a cash stash at home for emergencies? Would your bank give you an emergency loan? Ours offers stuff like that. I hope you get it figured out quickly.

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

No one will believe the update on this. I called and it turns out New York State took the money, not the IRS. I have not lived in New York for almost twenty years! So I call. They need my address. I don't remember my last address in New York, it has been so long. I remember some of it.

they then say I owe taxes for 2006 and 2007. I explain that I did not live in New York. I'm put on hold.

the guy comes back on and says it was a mistake!!! Okay, I know it was a mistake, but for a government office to admit that so easily??? Unreal.

so, they fax my bank to take the lean off my account, but tell me it will take up to 90 days to get my money back. Fine

the money was back in my account the next day.! Well, $150 less, but still! A miracle!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)