Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not going to make my home daycare peanut free

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

I interviewed with a mother of 2 who was looking for full time daycare for her 2 year old and full time in the summer and after school (when it starts up again) for her 5 year old. She said she had a hard time finding care. We talked for awhile and I figured out why

Her 2 year old has a severe peanut allergy. She went on to say the only way to make it a safe environment for him is for it to be peanut free. I guess at her old daycare he almost died because the person didnt ban peanuts. A couple of the kids regularly bring in peanut butter/peanuts whether it is on sandwiches or in trail mix or in other snacks. 

I just told her I had other interviews and I would let her know. Unless my other interviews go horrible I will pick them over this. I cant even imagine how tough it is for her being in this situation  but honestly it isnt worth the risk. Sure she could bring her own stuff but if her son almost died once in this type of situation I am not going to risk it it just isnt worth the liability. I am also not going to make everyone go peanut free. Hell I make myself a pb and j sandwich a lot because they are my favorite. She is just going to have to find something else. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't blame you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Ok
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I concur.

I would be terrified of being responsible for a child with such a severe allergy. My anxiety levels would be through the ROOF.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I own a home daycare, Im peanut free for my protection.
MzD3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Id be the same way , too risky
shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM
I wouldn't take it on either. Too much liability and it limits your potential client list quite a bit too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame you. My grandson has a dangerous peanut allergy and I am terrified he will be accidently exposed somewhere when I am with him. I couldn't do that stress daily for a child that I didn't love dearly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
I understand why you don't want to but lots of places are peanut free anyway, it can't be that hard to find one.
Maddogsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Mine too. A lot of people don't understand food allergies, the parents would probably still bring these with traces of peanuts. Honestly that kid probably doesn't need to be in daycare. He has a deadly allergy. I wouldn't take that chance.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

I concur.

I would be terrified of being responsible for a child with such a severe allergy. My anxiety levels would be through the ROOF.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I wanted to add this (not to scare you). When I 1st started working daycare (17) I had a kid in my class that ate peanut butter with no issue, never had a reaction before. one day he had a reaction and almost die (had to call ambulance and he was taken to the hospital).
Because of that I make my home dsycare peanut free. I couldn't image going through that again and alone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)