Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he wants to change his name

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

my son wants to go by his middle name from now on. if someone calls him R he yells MY NAME IS NOT R its M! 

im fine with it and half way expected it when i named him. not that i wanted him to but his middle name is a little more mature sounding and i wondered in the back of my head if hed want to go by it at some point.

DH says no way. your name is R. 

do i sit DH down and tell him this means a lot to DS or do i stick by DH and tell DS he has to go by R?

(and no his first name isnt horrible. it isnt "unique", ghetto, or baby-ish.)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Support your son. This is a personal preference and he is entitled to have it respected.

Explain to his father that this is not a hill to die on and that there will be much bigger, more important battles where he can and should stand his ground, but not this one.
MommeeOfOne
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Let him go by what he is comfortable with. I go by a short version of my name as I don't like my real name. As I have gotten older I am liking it more but thankfully, my parents had no issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM

How old is your DS?  That's the critical question here.  

If he's 3, I'd continue to call him by the name you chose.  Many toddlers/preschoolers go through a phase where they insist on being called Batman or Elsa or Scooby.  That phase passes.  Call them that in fun, but don't go changing the "preferred name" line at the doctor's office.

If he's school-aged, and wants to use his middle name, instead of his first name (in other words, he's not asking to be called Batman here), then I'd honor his wishes.  It's his name.  I'd let him make that decision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM

The kid has a right to go by whatever name he wants. And who knows, it may just be a phase and he may decide to go back to his first name after awhile. But either way, his middle name is perfectly acceptable for him to go by as well if thats what he wants. Your husband needs to back off and leave him alone. What does it matter what name he uses?

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Depends on the age and the names.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM

hes 6 :) 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If he's 3, I'd continue to call him by the name you chose.  Many toddlers/preschoolers go through a phase where they insist on being called Batman or Elsa or Scooby.  That phase passes.  Call them that in fun, but don't go changing the "preferred name" line at the doctor's office.

If he's school-aged, and wants to use his middle name, instead of his first name (in other words, he's not asking to be called Batman here), then I'd honor his wishes.  It's his name.  I'd let him make that decision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Then I'd honor his wishes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

hes 6 :) 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

TheQueen88
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Why is DH opposed to him using his middle name?

If he doesn't have a good reason, I would probably talk to him. I don't see it as a big deal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Why is this such a control point for your DH?  In other words, why does it matter so much to him?

MommaGemma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM
My first name was Beatrice I go by Gemma to literally everyone I know. As soon I turned 18 I changed my name to my middle name because I hated Beatrice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)