Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For parents of teens...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Is it normal for them to scarf down food like they're starving??

I have 2 DDs that are 10 and 6, so I haven't made it that far yet. But SO has 9 kids, 4 grown and 5 that range from ages 12-17. I just moved in with him a couple months ago. We both work and make good money, but his part of the grocery bill is huge! When it was just me and my girls I could bargain and pay around $300-$400 a month in groceries (that's buying all organic and good meats.) His part basically is huge because he buys a lot of snacks for when his kids come over (depends on if the older ones have anything going on, but all 5 are here at least twice a month on the weekends.) I'm talking poptarts, noodle cups, chips, etc. because his kids constantly eat. They'll eat several times before they see one of us in the kitchen cooking, then they'll stop and wait until that meal is ready. SO says they do the same at their mom's.

My kids don't snack very often. They have to ask me first (depending on how close we are to lunch or dinner) and if I'm not fixing to cook, I'll give them a yogurt or something.

I know, I know. It's expected for a man with that many kids to have high bills. But is it normal for kids their ages to just keep eating and eating??
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terra221
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Yes, teens are bottomless pits!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Yeah it is normal.I hsve 2 kids teens. It comes in cycles one day their will barely eat, the next they eat like it will be the last time they will have food
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Teen boys have  extra stomachs and hollow legs.  They can inhale their dinner (including 2nds) and come back a couple of hours later announcing that they're starving.  I have 2 brothers, they were human food vacuums when they were teens. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM
I have 3 boys. 12, 6, and 2. It seems like they are ALWAYS eating like ravenous teenagers! Doesn't help that I eat like too...
goodygumdrops
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I'm not going to say ALL teens, but it is very common, especially with active boys.  Snacks are a mandatory staple in my house, from healthy to not so healthy.

admsj5
by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:01 PM
They can eat a whole lot!!
Our grocery bill is 1200-1500 a month for 5 kids ranging from 8-14. We don't buy many snacks. I do buy loads of fresh fruit and things like cheese sticks and yogurt and carrots, and the kids can eat those things between meals.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:01 PM
My teen daughter ate a whole large pizza yesterday and a container of Ben and jerrys!

The kids eat all the time. I find having ready made meals like a pasta salad helps with the junky expensive snacking. They eat a whole box of granola bars in one sitting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Yes that's normal
felixity
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
yup, pretty much, and I'm just starting my boy is 13 and my daughter 12.
Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Yes. The more active they are, the bigger their appetites too. I remember one day in high school my two friends and I went to Burger King for food. I got a giant burger, largest fries available, and monster soda. I had eaten all my food, and half of my friend's food before they were done with theirs.

At the time I was playing on two soccer teams, club and high school, AND running track in the spring. I was ALWAYS hungry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)