Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My boss is trying to force me to work Sundays

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

I go to church every Sunday. I work in the church nursery and have for 20 years now. I made it clear that I could work anytime besides Sunday from 9am-12pm. They said it wasnt a problem. I was hired, went through training, and have been working 3 weeks now. I went to look at my schedule and I am scheduled to work the morning shift the next two weeks. 

I went to talk to my boss. I told her that I thought there was a mistake because I was scheduled to work when I was not available. She didnt believe me at first but she looked at my application/contract and saw that I did put it down. She said that open availability is needed

I am not coming in on Sunday. I have a meeting with HR tomorrow to talk about it. I am not sure what will happen but either way I am not going to be going in. This job is not worth giving up going to church and working in the nursery 

ETA: I guess I wasnt clear enough before. It is in my employment contract that I am not available to work those hours. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 6:59 PM
I wouldn't go in either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a lot of symphathy.  I need a job, therefore,  I work Sundays if i need to.  Holidays also.  It is just part of the deal. 

However, if you didn't get it in writing... you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on.  If you don't need the job, then just quit.  Let someone else who does need it have it. 

squeekers
by squeekers on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:01 PM
They hired you. HR and scheduling dept didn't communicate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:02 PM
Quit or get fired for not showing up. Someone else will take it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM

It is in my employment contract 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I don't have a lot of symphathy.  I need a job, therefore,  I work Sundays if i need to.  Holidays also.  It is just part of the deal. 

However, if you didn't get it in writing... you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on.  If you don't need the job, then just quit.  Let someone else who does need it have it. 

sendsun
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this
It's on her application, it is in writing. If she was hired knowing she couldn't work Sundays they legally can't make her.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

OkieOBRN
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am pretty sure a job application isn't a legally binding document.  Most places don't even keep them.  Most states are "at will" states anyway, they can legally fire her just because "it isn't working out".

Quoting sendsun: It's on her application, it is in writing. If she was hired knowing she couldn't work Sundays they legally can't make her.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

OkieOBRN
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

if it was written into your contract.  A legal contract that specifies things like hours to work, rate of pay, non-competition clauses, job description, etc.... then you won't have to do it.  I mean, a contract is a contract.  Good for you getting it in writing. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM

It is in the employment contract also 

Quoting OkieOBRN:

I am pretty sure a job application isn't a legally binding document.  Most places don't even keep them.  Most states are "at will" states anyway, they can legally fire her just because "it isn't working out".

Quoting sendsun: It's on her application, it is in writing. If she was hired knowing she couldn't work Sundays they legally can't make her.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
That wasn't a contract. I can't stand people like you. Good luck with this.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)