Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got offered a job but I dont think I am going to take it because it is a small business

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

I didnt realize it was a small business until during the interview and looking at all the information. I have only ever heard of bad things working for small businesses. What if something happens medical wise and I cant get time off? I wouldnt be getting any benefits. DH and I are not trying for a baby now but we were hoping too in the next couple years. None of the rules really apply to small businesses. 

It would be nice to have the extra money but I just dont think it is worth it. Plus the hours I would be working (9-5 M-F) would make interviews at other places hard. DH is a bit disappointed that I got a job and I am turning it down but oh well. I'm just going to keep looking

I guess this was just a vent 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mollyk124
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM
4 moms liked this
Small businesses are the best workplaces.
DragonGirl319
by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

How small? And what rules don't apply? 

zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I own two small businesses, our employees get benefits and paid time off. It's all in the contracts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM

It would make me worry the whole time. I have had to use FMLA in the past and if something like that were to happen again I would be screwed. 

Quoting mollyk124: Small businesses are the best workplaces.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you ask any questions about how they handle all that? I work do a small business with benefits and PTO if needed. Hey have maternity leave, sick leave, 401k and all that jazz (which shocked me because it's a small business).
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:50 PM
Anything under 50 employees are not required to follow SOME workplace laws

Quoting DragonGirl319:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Less than 15 employees. FMLA doesnt apply, any type of discrimination, they could literally fire me for ANY reason 

Quoting DragonGirl319:

JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you even ask in the 'what if' scenarios or you're just assuming? Don't jump to assumptions. Try having a adult conversation with the people.. Not that hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM

There are no benefits at all. Sometimes they will grant things but nothing is given. No maternity leave. No sick leave. No nothing

Quoting Anonymous 2: Did you ask any questions about how they handle all that? I work do a small business with benefits and PTO if needed. Hey have maternity leave, sick leave, 401k and all that jazz (which shocked me because it's a small business).

ms.heathy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Where are you currently working?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)