Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prenups.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I'm currently engaged, and I'm due to inherit a sizeable inheritance and some assets. Fiance has no qualms about signing a prenup if it's just about my inheritance. 

Do you have a prenup? Did you or he insist? Do you see the value in them?

For me- I'm 99% sure my marriage won't end in divorce. But in case that 1% chance does happen and in the absolutely lesser chance he becomes spiteful- I want to be protected. It's always good to have backup plans in place. He agrees after learning about my fears coming true in past relationships and breakups.

What say you?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM
I would never sign one. I wouldn't ask anyone either.
M0m0f0n3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Neither of us had shit when we got married

FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM
We were pretty poor when we married so no pre-nup.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM
We were broke college kids when we got married so no prenup for us. And if we divorced inheritance is something that the other is not entitled to as long as it's never been in a shared account if I'm correct.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Depends on what state you are in.  In my state, NJ, an inheritance cannot be considered in divorce.  I inherited some money after my dad died.  So I verified this info with my attorney.  I'm divorced now, but if I ever get remarried, I want to make sure I'm protected.  Check the inheritance laws in your state.

I'm torn on prenups.  I think if I remarried a man who has less assets than me, then we would have to do a prenup.  If he was coming into the marriage with the same as me, then maybe not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:06 PM

My husband and i had nothing when we got married.  But I would not have had a problem with signing a prenup if one of us had anything worth a prenup.  And since different states have differnt laws about inheritances it would not be a bad thing to do just in case, since you never know where life may take you.

mollyk124
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Inheritances are not community property.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Yes, everyone should have a prenup. Marriage is just as much a business partnership as a romantic one, and to ignore this or insist "it won't happen to us" is foolish.

I actually think prenups might save more couples from divorce, whether by putting both partners on the same page before the marriage or by splitting up couples before they walk down the aisle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

I have a pre-nup. I don't view pre-nups as something only rich people or people with large assets need.  My husband wanted me to be a SAHM, we have a pre-nup laying out everything in case we ever divorce. There are also  requirements to some of the points in it as well, like cheating if he cheats and we divorce I'm entitled to more support for both myself and our kids.  I view my prenup as a precautionary safety measure. No one knows what tomorrow will bring, so an ounce of protection is worth it's weight in gold.  Only a few states in the country are community property states, less than 10 actually.  There is no guarantee of a 50/50 split, there is no guarantee for spousal support and only a guarantee of an income percentage for child support if relying on the courts in a divorce. Better safe than sorry is what I think, so I made sure I covered myself and my children just in case. Business is very much a part of marriage, from the legally binding contract to taxes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

My boyfriend and I aren't married and never will be but IF we did get married I'm pretty sure we would do a prenup. I met him when he was 40 so I didn't "contribute" to his wealth in any shape or form. I would totally be ok with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)