Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you walk into your parents house?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 326 Replies
Without knocking?

Does it matter if they are expecting you or not?

So this is a convo my BFF and I just had because my SD just came running into my house.
DH and I were in our bedroom which is at the back of the house UP the stairs.

I didn't realize the doors were unlocked. SD came barging in. She didn't knock or ring the bell she just came right on in crying hysterically. I actually thought the noise I heard was one of the kids.
It wasn't until she was standing at up bedroom door did I realize it was her.

I was only in a night gown.

It's 10pm at night.

I was fucking pissed.

My BFF drive to play devils advocate and said "okay let's be real do you knock before entering your parents home?"

Um yeah. Because I don't want to see my parents naked. Also if I did enter without knocking I certainly wouldn't leave move past the front door without making my presence known.

The ONLY time I would enter without knocking is if my parents KNEW I was coming over and exactly when I would be there. Like if I call and say "hey I will be there in 2 minutes." Or maybe let's say I was already at my parents house and they asked me to run to the gas station to get ice or something, I wouldn't knock upon returning 5 minutes later.

I think what SD did was completely unacceptable. DH is just happy that sd came to him instead of cutting herself

Edit/update.

I didn't include this in the op, and I should have, I am sorry.

But SD was high as a kite and had obviously been drinking. At first I was concerned for SD but when it was obvious that there wasn't actually anything wrong she was just intoxicated and feeling sorry for herself, my concern quickly became pure aggrevation.
SD needs a therapist and rehab but she refuses both.

Secondly I can't believe so many of you don't follow the basic rules of respect.
I am a key to my parents home, but I would still never enter their home without their permission or announcing myself. It takes 5 seconds to knock. Letting people know you are in their home is just a basic rule of respect. It also ensures you don't see things that might burn your eyes or get yourself shot.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Considering my parents live in europe. They know exactly what time I'm arriving. I'm in america.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM

how old is sd? i usually call my parents and let them know im on my way and when i will get there. 

constantg
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

No, you're wrong. 

And I usually don't knock, but it's a big house. I also have close friends who come into mine without knocking if the doors are unlocked. You're an ass. If your kids can come in without knocking, she can. If she can't- you're an "evil stepmother"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Yes, as an adult I do. As a teen, no. I think it would have been weird to knock on the door of a house I lived in. Even with my parent's divorced, I never knocked on my dads door even though I lived with my mom. I had a room there and was welcomed there.

MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM
I never knock before going into my mom's house, but she always knows that I'm coming over that day. *Shrug* I rarely ever just drop in on her. She lives and hour away and I want to make sure she's there before I waste my gas on that trip.
Becsmom217
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM
9 moms liked this

Umm, if she is seeking help for cutting, I must say I agree with him.  You know,priorities and all

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM
I knock at my dad's house.
I don't knock at my mom's house.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM

I don't visit my mom's house. 

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't live near our parents so they always know in advance that we are coming over... when we arrive, we don't knock.

Cutting herself?? If she was in danger of harming herself... I wouldn't care if she bust down the door to get in... I'd be thankful she was okay. 

momma2mms
by Kristin on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this
How old is she?
I do not knock at my parents. Even if it's locked, I have a key. I usually let them know I'm coming. I also announce myself as I'm walking in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)