Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a hacked haircut cause breakage? HELP!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I have thick, naturally curly hair. I recently had a haircut about 3 weeks ago. I wasn't that happy with it. She put some shaping in my hair that was too dramatic and made my hair look hacked off, IMO. Well, ever since then, I have been losing more hair than normal when styling. It's enough that I am saying, "am I losing my hair?!". I am only 30 years old and hair loss does not run in my family, even with the men. So, I think I am getting some breakage but I can't figure out why. I'm doing the same thing that I have always done. I only comb my hair with my fingers when it's wet with conditioner on. I don't use heat on my hair or dye my hair. I don't rub it with towels. I don't really know what to do to help it! I just know that I don't want it to fall out! 

Is it possible the cut is causing it? I don't really want to cut it any shorter, but I don't know what to do...

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM
How much is coming out?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:19 PM

A palm full. I have lost that much at times, but this is EVERY time that I style it. 

Quoting muzzyh: How much is coming out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:05 AM

BUMP!

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM

I dunno. If it's that much, I would see a doctor. You could be deficient on some vitamins or something.

I am support!

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Depending on the products they used on your hair, yes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
A cut can't cause hair loss. Hair is dead keratin, cutting can't hurt it. It's possible that she thinned your hair with thinning shears and what you're seeing is all that loose hair coming off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Sounds far more likely that you have a thyroid issue. Get it checked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM

I had my thyroid level checked two months ago. It was fine.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Sounds far more likely that you have a thyroid issue. Get it checked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:19 AM

No, she didn't. I watched her do the cut the whole time. You wouldn't use that for curly hair, anyway. It's not good for it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: A cut can't cause hair loss. Hair is dead keratin, cutting can't hurt it. It's possible that she thinned your hair with thinning shears and what you're seeing is all that loose hair coming off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 12, 2016 at 12:21 AM
Okay. I've been a stylist for 12 years and never have I seen just a cut cause hair loss. Like ever.
Stress - yes. hair cuts? No - never.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I had my thyroid level checked two months ago. It was fine.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Sounds far more likely that you have a thyroid issue. Get it checked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)