Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rent increase...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
Just found out today that my rent is increasing from $1500 to $1800 a month (for a two bedroom apartment). They gave me 30 days notice but legally I have 60 days. I can't afford this new rent but looking around everything is ridiculous. My sons too old to be sharing a room with me so I need a 2 bedroom. I even looked at buying a house but I don't have enough for a down payment. Really worried at the moment.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM

That's why my friend used to move every year when the move in special was up. It was a pain. What about an FHA loan? You only need 3.5% down. I hear they have a 0% percent down loan but I think that could be a disaster. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM
They are going to raise our rent here. When they do, we will move. We have a few more months though. A new owner/property management took over. They are renting out the open units for $500 more than we pay.....and no one is renting. My building is almost empty. So, they are losing money by jacking up the rent. But, the owner isn't budging, according to the property manager. I refuse to pay what they are asking. There are units in our price range all over. The problem is more location. We are at a great location.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep looking that's a very high increase in a month!
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Shit. That's a huge increase... I moved when my rent increased for the secomd year in a row. But the increases weren't that big.. damn.
dawncs
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Have you thought of a one bedroom apartment with you having the living room and him the bedroom? I saw it work for a single mom in my area a few years ago.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Holy crap that's expensive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Quoting dawncs:

Have you thought of a one bedroom apartment with you having the living room and him the bedroom? I saw it work for a single mom in my area a few years ago.

I don't think that would work. He's high functioning autistic and we BOTH need a place to ourselves to unwind. He would be in the living room constantly since its nots a bedroom:/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM
Holy crap, Ive been paying $850 for a 4 bedroom house. Ive been here almost 10 yrs, my rent has never been raised.
DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
You might want to check and see if an increase of that much is even legal
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM
It's legal. You can't tell property owners what they can charge. Once her lease is up, there is no more contract. But that sucks for OP.

Quoting DarksMama: You might want to check and see if an increase of that much is even legal
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)