Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DHS Says They *Don't Believe Me*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

So I am in school and I work.

DS and I live with my cousin. I get no child support.

I was getting food stamps for us for the max amount of $357 a month.

Then I found a good job and I was making about $2500 a month.That was plenty for DS and I to pay the bills and eat.

Well naturally they took the food stamps because I didn't qualify. Fine, I agree with that. Everything went on as normal for a couple months.

Now, my cousin has lost her job. AND my hours got cut at work. I now make about about a grand per month.

Our agreement was cousin pay the mortgage, her phone bill and her groceries. I would pay for food for me and my son and pay the utilities, the Internet bill, and whatever DS needed, plus my phone bill.

If we are to survive it's going to have to flip. I'm going to have to pay the mortgage now and one of the utilities which leaves me with $100-$150 a month at most.

I tried to re-file for food stamps and when I explained the situation they said they don't believe me! They pretty much accused me of trying to scam the system because I wasn't happy not getting food stamps anymore.

For one, why would I wait 2 months to do that? Two, I can PROVE I hardly make any money now and hardly have any to eat with.

Does anyone know what to do now? The rule is if you have a roommate situation your roommate/the lease or mortgage holder can write a statement saying what you pay to live there. The mortgage is in her name and there is no way they will ever put me on it because I'm quite frankly a credit risk. Not that I need to because they only require written statements, not *proof* you pay rent if you have a roommate and everything is under their name.

I just can't believe they accused me of scamming. I am currently looking for a second job/new job but in the meantime I need help and they are accusing me of lying when they have no proof.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmommie07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:38 PM
You provide paystubs which is usually what they require to verify your income
HHx5
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:38 PM
Different states have different rules. Can the three of you apply together? If you think it's unfair, they have rules about appealing the decision or requesting a different case worker. if I had a room mate, I'd barter bills for childcare and try to work a part time job on the weekends.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM

They don't believe my rent went up. They think it's still the same and say I don't qualify even with my income not as much anymore.

Quoting blessedmommie07: You provide paystubs which is usually what they require to verify your income

EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:41 PM

WHy the hell aren't you demanding child support from the guy who helped make that baby instead of wanting the rest of us to support your child?  That's what is wrong here. 

readyforhim
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I don't think any of us have any idea how many scams there are for food stamps.

Ask to speak with someone else who can answer questions and remain neutral.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

All you need to do is reapply for FS and provide all your documentation.  If a worker said that to you then ask for a manager/supervisior.  They can't deny you for what they think is the story only by hard evidence. 

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Provide them with a copy of your lease (easy to make if you have a computer and printer), and show them your paystubs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:46 PM

We have an order. He doesn't pay it. I have no idea where he works or if he even lives in the area anymore. They can't do anything if they can't find him or know where he works. Every once in a while, maybe every few months or so, he'll throw about $40 towards the order and that's it.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

WHy the hell aren't you demanding child support from the guy who helped make that baby instead of wanting the rest of us to support your child?  That's what is wrong here. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Calculate how much you both make monthly combined & calculate what percentage of that sum you contribute.  For example, let's say combined you bring in $100 to the house, but your income makes up $70 (70%) and her contribution is $30 (30%). 

List all of the monthly bills and sum up the total amount due each month. Split that amount by 70/30 (the percentage you each contribute to the household).  That's the amount you should each be paying toward bills.  So your each contributing to pay each bill, but your each putting in the amount that is doable based off your incomes.

let's say you bring in $1000 and she brings in $300 from unemployment (or however)

$1000

+$300
---------
$1300

You bring in 77% of that income, she brings in 23%.  If your light bill is $100, you should be paying $77 and she should pay $23. 

motherslove82
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 1:16 PM

That's strange. Usually, they go by income and bills. Do they have a website that you can go to? If you did it online then it would just be about the numbers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)