Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He drives me nuts! Fil vent. Long..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
My fil lives with us, always has. He's in his 70s. He doesn't do anything!

I don't expect him to clean the house or anything like that. Just clean up after himself when his aid isn't here. He doesn't. He stacks his dirty dishes on a shelf in his room.

We have to have 2 separate bathrooms because he's gross. He pissed on the floor once when dh and I were still dating and I stepped in it. Disgusting. He still pisses on the seat and floor but doesn't clean it up.

He doesn't shower unless my dh gets on his ass about it, and even then it takes him a week.

He keeps all the window shades open, even at night, and stares out them like a creeper. I shut them at night and he gets all huffy about it. Sorry, I don't want people looking in the window at me whole I'm cleaning, or cooking or whatever. (We live in the city).

We made him quit smoking over a year ago because the doctors said he was going to lose a leg if he didn't. Now he goes outside and hunts for cigarette butts off the ground, or tries to get some from the neighbors. It's really embarrassing have to tell all the neighbors he can't smoke and if he asks them to please tell him no.

We had to get a mailbox with a key because he was taking the mail and hiding it in his room. I've nearly missed court hearings, He's nearly missed appointments. We weren't getting the bills because of it.

He went to the doctor recently, found out he has hepatitis c. He's had it for years according to his medical records, and he never told anyone. Turns out he was an iv drug user when he was younger. I knew he was an alcoholic and used cocaine, but not needles.

He fed my dds fish today (he never does this) and put nearly half a bottle of fish food in the tank. It's a beta fish, it doesn't need that much.

We have had to move the pantry upstairs near our room because he was eating everything. I'd go grocery shopping for a week, and the next day half of the snacks and breakfast things (bagels, pop tarts, etc) would be gone.

There's just so much I could be here forever.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Wilk32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh gosh, I'm usually the last one to say this but have you considered putting him in a home or an independent living facility?
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:57 PM
This!! Why are you putting up with all of that?

Quoting Mrs.Wilk32: Oh gosh, I'm usually the last one to say this but have you considered putting him in a home or an independent living facility?
hart57
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM
Sounds like he is suffering from a mental illness. Talk to his doctors.

I would look into a home. He is only 70, he has lots of years yet.
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM
He needs to be in assisted living.
DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM
Sounds like retirement community time for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM
Does he have an age related onset mental disorder
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM
We're talking about it. When we move next year we're going to check some out. Dh feels bad about it, but I really can't take this anymore.

Quoting Mrs.Wilk32: Oh gosh, I'm usually the last one to say this but have you considered putting him in a home or an independent living facility?
quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:10 PM

id be livid he kept having hep c from you..

Mrs.Wilk32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:11 PM
I understand. It's a hard choice to make, especially when it comes to a parent. It sounds like he may have some sort of mental illness developing. Hang in there I'm sure it's difficult to tolerate at times.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We're talking about it. When we move next year we're going to check some out. Dh feels bad about it, but I really can't take this anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM
He has the beginning signs of dementia. We've spoken with his doctor about this stuff and she said most of his behaviors aren't related to the dementia though.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Does he have an age related onset mental disorder
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)