Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two birth control pills daily to prevent period

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

My sister does this whenever a vacation is coming up or a planned night out. I told her it can't be healthy to do this for a week but he says she feels fine. Any research on this? I can't find any.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:10 PM

That's not how it works. She only needs to skip the sugar pills and go directly to the next pill pack. I used to do that to avoid my period on field exercises and deployments. 

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Misusing birth conrol pills can cause a whole host of helath issues including heart attacks.  See the warning label with the pills.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM
You mean she starts a new pack when she's on her 4th week in the old pack?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Idk, I only know that a few times a year she doubles up on active pills to keep her period away.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You mean she starts a new pack when she's on her 4th week in the old pack?

EmilyH87
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM
Never have I ever heard anyone say they do that. Skipping the placebo pills at the end of the pack, yes, but never doubling up on pills. That does not sound like it would be good for your system.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:50 PM
I think she's just explaining it wrong. Or she's 'doubling up' by taking the placebo and the first week of the new pack.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Idk, I only know that a few times a year she doubles up on active pills to keep her period away.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You mean she starts a new pack when she's on her 4th week in the old pack?

PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:52 PM

What a dummy.

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:54 PM

so, bleeding on the fourth week is caused by not having the hormone in the pills.  Do you mean that she's just not taking the placebos?  That's not harmful.

You don't NEED to have a period.  I haven't had one in four years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:58 PM

No, for 5-6 days she takes two active pills daily then goes back to one whenever the night/vacation is over.

Quoting SueWanda:

so, bleeding on the fourth week is caused by not having the hormone in the pills.  Do you mean that she's just not taking the placebos?  That's not harmful.

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM

oh.  SHe doesn't need to do that.  She could just skip to the next pack.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

No, for 5-6 days she takes two active pills daily then goes back to one whenever the night/vacation is over.

Quoting SueWanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)