Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone get a divorce while their husband was military?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

A good friend of mine was just told by her husband that he wants a divorce.  Very sudden.  They have two little girls and a boy.  They own a home.  She is freaking out because she has been a SAHM for 11 years. 

Does CS include BAH?   I know BAS is for the service member.  I also know her kids will continue to get TriCare. But how will that work as far as her taking them on base?

I was active duty for 20 years but never dealt with this.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lipsis
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Unless the kids live with him more than 50% of the time, he won't be able to list them as dependents for BAH. That's all I know, from a family where they lived on base. Both mom had to get apartment off base. Dad had to either live in the barracks or get an apartment off base. Kids had to change schools.

SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM

They can see a doctor off base as long as they take tricare prime or tricare standard. As for the rest she will need to consult an attorney. 

Momof2Stepof3
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:22 PM

The kids will get dependent ID cards. Divorcing some one in the military is no different then divorcing a civi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM

No it doesn't include BAH because it's a subsidy that is not earned.  They won't have Tricare Prime any more, it will be Tricare standard so they won't be seen on base.  They'll have to go off base.  Also, the kids will have an ID card but they will only have BX and commissary privileges if her ex authorizes it.

cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:24 PM
Yes and no. If they separated before suport is ordered, he is obligated to give her his bah. The judge can include bah but not bas in the calculation for child support.

When she needs to take them on base, she simply presents her drivers license, if one child is 10, they can get a dependent Id and speed the gate process.

cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:28 PM
That's not exactly true. The children are entitled to prime as long as a biological parent is in the service. The ex does not get to dictate base privileges, the Id office does. And bah being included as part of his past when figuring child support is entirely up to the judge.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

No it doesn't include BAH because it's a subsidy that is not earned.  They won't have Tricare Prime any more, it will be Tricare standard so they won't be seen on base.  They'll have to go off base.  Also, the kids will have an ID card but they will only have BX and commissary privileges if her ex authorizes it.

cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:33 PM
I hope that was a choice made by those parents. Military members with children, custodial or not, are entitled to a home on base when enough bedrooms for when the member has the children. 3 soldiers I've whirled with have been non custodial, with less than 50% and they all had base housing, two of them had for bedroom homes because they had 3 kids.

The non military spouse, however, must find other applications, off post because they aren't military. Unless thou are in fort benning. Right now on that part thou can apply for housing on post as a civilian at a hair over half the bah cost of the home.

Quoting lipsis:

Unless the kids live with him more than 50% of the time, he won't be able to list them as dependents for BAH. That's all I know, from a family where they lived on base. Both mom had to get apartment off base. Dad had to either live in the barracks or get an apartment off base. Kids had to change schools.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM
She'll get child support and half his retirement if they were married over 10 years. The kid's and she will have Tricare too. She'll have it for life and the kids until adulthood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:44 PM

With the paperwork for for the ID cards that the military member has to fill out, they will check a box to authorize bx and commissary.  It's not up to the ID office.  They take the paperwork to the ID office and it is processed the way it is written. And BAH is not included in CS because it is not taxable income.  BAH is for the member's housing and not a part of salary.

Quoting cueballsmom: That's not exactly true. The children are entitled to prime as long as a biological parent is in the service. The ex does not get to dictate base privileges, the Id office does. And bah being included as part of his past when figuring child support is entirely up to the judge.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

lipsis
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:47 PM

I don't know. They were at in Monterey at the Language Institute.

Quoting cueballsmom: I hope that was a choice made by those parents. Military members with children, custodial or not, are entitled to a home on base when enough bedrooms for when the member has the children. 3 soldiers I've whirled with have been non custodial, with less than 50% and they all had base housing, two of them had for bedroom homes because they had 3 kids. The non military spouse, however, must find other applications, off post because they aren't military. Unless thou are in fort benning. Right now on that part thou can apply for housing on post as a civilian at a hair over half the bah cost of the home.
Quoting lipsis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)