Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Negatives about becoming an expat

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
In mexico, honduras, Costa Rica..but anywhere really..what do you think the drawbacks would be to move there permanently?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2016 at 2:53 AM

I personally know two different situations where people moved to another country.

My stepmom became a Canadian citizen.  No downside that I can see.  She loves it.

I know a family who moved to Thailand to work with orphaned kids.  The drawbacks are things you encounter when going to a less developed country:  diseases like malaria, poorly constructing housing, no hot water, sometimes no running water or electricity, inconvenient traveling, bugs, the distance from family and friends in the USA.

Why are you asking?

Quoting Anonymous 1: In mexico, honduras, Costa Rica..but anywhere really..what do you think the drawbacks would be to move there permanently?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Because it sounds interesting to me, maybe after retirement. But unless its some place like Ontario or London or another big westernized city I'm curious about the downsides.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I personally know two different situations where people moved to another country.

My stepmom became a Canadian citizen.  No downside that I can see.  She loves it.

I know a family who moved to Thailand to work with orphaned kids.  The drawbacks are things you encounter when going to a less developed country:  diseases like malaria, poorly constructing housing, no hot water, sometimes no running water or electricity, inconvenient traveling, bugs, the distance from family and friends in the USA.

Why are you asking?

Quoting Anonymous 1: In mexico, honduras, Costa Rica..but anywhere really..what do you think the drawbacks would be to move there permanently?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Less developed countries have all kinds of drawbacks.  Disease, poor healthcare, crime are just a few.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM
It many countries being an American could make you a target.

Issues with health insurance and medical care

KTU
by Kim on Aug. 5, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Crime rates, diseases, health care, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)