Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made my children do at least 1 activity

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have 4 children. When they entered Jr high school I told them to pick a sport, skill, or hobby that they will stick with until they are at least 18.

1st Dd had been doing dance since she was 5 and went with that. She went to college for it and now owns a studio.

2nd Dd took up tennis and got a scholarship for it.

older ds continued soccer and is currently attending college on a soccer scholarship.

Younger ds does fencing and he's still in high school. He loves it.

Sometimes they asked to quit those things but ultimately they are all glad we made them stick with 1 thing(some did try other things in addition).

I highly suggest it. Those things all taught my children a lot of good life skills
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:06 AM
Right after my first, I told my dh I wanted my kids to learn at least one sport and one musical instrument. My ds is in football and plans to go to NFL or WWE.
I suggest it as well, however, I also know that they can also get academic scholarships if that effort was put into studies; as is with my 3 cousins who never played a sport but still got scholarships.
PlumbersWife344
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:09 AM
I have a wrestler
A orchestra member
And a cheerleader. I think I'm covered
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM
Dd (6) does competitive dance. Her dream is to teach dance one day. She has come so far from the 3 year old who wouldn't let go of my leg for the first 6 weeks of class.
Ds (9) loves music. He kind of bounced around on instruments at first but his favorite is violin.
raczac
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:24 AM
My oldest just started middle school although he has played football since he was in kindergarten.

My youngest is in 4th and is not interested much in any sport. Hes yried football,t-ball,basketball, and soccer. Next year he wants to join band and tske art lessons. Hopefully one of those two things will be his thing.
sorrynotsorry1
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:28 AM
I am one of those children! I played piano for ten years ☺ Although I wanted to quit at times I'm so glad I have that skill now as an adult. 😁
squeekers
by squeekers on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:30 AM
DD would have done marching band her whole high school years except for the death of the music teacher & the inability of the district to get a good not abusive teacher. DD did 3 years, lettered & left for a sport.
702girly
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:33 AM

I made mine do something every year too but I let him change it the next year if he wants. That's how he discovered piano and he is really into it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM
I dont MAKE anyone do anything they don't want to do.

I dont suggest picking 1 thing and sticking with it. I suggest trying new things often and learning new skills and meeting new people and having new experiences over "can I please quit now?"

If you dont try new things and stick with one how will you ever find what you truly love? Not what you were forced into?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM
My oldest just always joined a million things without me having to ask. Dd is just entering high school and does not do that at all. She was in gymnastics for years and quit about 2 years ago with promises to do other stuff. And didn't. So, I just told her a few weeks ago that she is required to join something. A sport or a club. I don't care. But, if she wants her phone, she has to join. There are a few other stipulations to keeping her phone. But, joining is top priority.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:37 AM
They were allowed to try other things but they couldn't give up their main activity. The point is stick with something so you can improve over time, not just quit when it gets a little hard and start over with something else.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I dont MAKE anyone do anything they don't want to do.

I dont suggest picking 1 thing and sticking with it. I suggest trying new things often and learning new skills and meeting new people and having new experiences over "can I please quit now?"

If you dont try new things and stick with one how will you ever find what you truly love? Not what you were forced into?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)