Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you're too old to do the work, quit!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I want to preface this by saying I am in no way ageist.

I work night shift in a hospital, in the ER. We have a large patient volume and a high turnover rate of our rooms. We have a housekeeper who cleans the rooms. We do our own rooms when we can, but our priority is patient care. We rarely have ED techs available to help, so it is a lot of work for the EVS staff.

We have one housekeeper who is a pleasant lady, but she's older, I'd say probably late 60's. She is incredibly slow and she constantly complains that the nurses don't pick up their own rooms, that there are blankets on the floor and she can't bend down easily, or IV fluids hanging on the hooks above the bed and it's hard for her to reach, or there is just general trash, meal trays, sandwich plates, and food wrappers strewn about making her job harder.

Well, that's her job. We don't always have time to run around the pre-clean for her. We don't purposely leave messes, at least I don't, but sometimes visitors and patients do, and while that's unfortunate, it's not our responsibility to clean up after them when we discharge them.

I worked last night, as did she, and she came to the desk, again, to complain to us about how lacking our housekeeping skills were, how tired she is, and how her back and legs hurt. Charge nurse told her we'd do our best, but we were extremely busy. We saw over 200 patients last night and we're a 16 bed ER, we're built and staffed for a roughly 80-100 patient census.

The housekeeper came back 4 times. The last time, she cornered me at the med prep station and told me it was disgraceful how my last patient's room looked and that she was one bad room away from reporting me! She said her knees hurt badly and her lower back was on fire. I told her if she was too old to reliably and quickly do the job, perhaps she should look for a different line of work, and that while she was of course free to report me, there was nothing to actually report. Cleaning rooms is her job, her only job, and what she gets paid to do! If she can't do it, she needs to find other employment. I ended up writing HER up, rather than her me, because I ended up being backed up severely because she was so slow cleaning my rooms, I ended up jumping in to get them cleaned while I had other patients who required care.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MBMBRN
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:00 AM

Ugh! I completely agree! We have a similar issue on the L&D unit. She's very passive aggressive though and will drop remarks like "my back hurts after picking up after you girls all night". Drives me nuts because she does a very slow, crappy job. She's been reported a few times, but her son-in-law is good friends with one of the higher ups of our organization, so she won't leave until she retires. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM
Sad. She has probably been doing this 30 yrs and cant retire.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM
Yep I remember those days. Worked ED too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM
Yeah. As someone who regularly works beside nurses, she deserved that write up.
Princess_s21
by Sarah on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:06 AM

Yeah I agree, sounds like she needs to be put in a less stressful part of the hospital maybe, if there is one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:00 AM

That sounds extremely annoying. I'm glad you wrote her up, she deserves disciplinary action. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:06 AM

You are going to be older one day as well

702girly
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:16 AM

I have no sympathy for her. The people who clean where I work literally make half what someone starting my job makes. They work for a different company that we contract with. 

We have had three enormous hiring events in the past year where we literally hired hundreds of people each time. I have tried to get these people to apply and they just won't do it. Not a single one has done it. They will bitch and moan about how hard their job is and how little they make but they refuse to do anything to better their situation.

This is their end game apparently, and they're going to be in the same exact situation as this woman you're talking about because they lack ambition and common sense. And it's their own damn fault. 

Piskie
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Everyone will.... But if my older self can't keep up in am er and contributes to people's health care, I'd quit or move... I don't think it's unreasonable to get people to do their job.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

You are going to be older one day as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:20 AM
Very sad that she can't perform her work, but probably can't afford to retire. It's a problem many of us will face when we get older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)