Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholics, make sense of this for me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I was talking to someone and she couldn't understand it either.

She was Catholic.  She married a man who had been divorced.  She was told that, because of his divorce, the church did not recognize her marriage.

I don't recall the circumstances, but they got divorced.  She remarried and the church still won't recognize her marriage because she is now divorced, even though they never considered her to be married at all the first time.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:20 AM
The church is intelligent enough to understand the difference between marriage "in the eyes of God" and marriage "in the eyes of the law". Her marriage to the divorced man wasn't recognized in the eyes of God, but was obviously legal and valid by government laws.
Maiden6910
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:24 AM
The church considers marriage an unbreakable bond and since the state/government cannot dissolve that which is spiritually permanent, remarriage after divorce is not recognized, since you're permanently bonded with your first spouse.

This is one of the many reasons I am now a recovering Catholic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:24 AM

I just want to understand how they can claim that she is divorced when they told her that she was never married to begin with.  They won't recognize either of her legal marriages, but will recognize her legal divorce?

Quoting Anonymous 2: The church is intelligent enough to understand the difference between marriage "in the eyes of God" and marriage "in the eyes of the law". Her marriage to the divorced man wasn't recognized in the eyes of God, but was obviously legal and valid by government laws.

MBMBRN
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:25 AM

From a religious standpoint, she was never married and never will be considered married as she is legally divorced. Her marriages were most likely both legal in the sense that the government recognized them, but the church is separate from that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:26 AM

I can understand not recognizing the first marriage.  However, since they never considered her married to begin with, how can they claim that she is divorced?

Quoting Maiden6910: The church considers marriage an unbreakable bond and since the state/government cannot dissolve that which is spiritually permanent, remarriage after divorce is not recognized, since you're permanently bonded with your first spouse. This is one of the many reasons I am now a recovering Catholic.

ayacocca
by Lioness on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:26 AM
Yikes..

Quoting Maiden6910: The church considers marriage an unbreakable bond and since the state/government cannot dissolve that which is spiritually permanent, remarriage after divorce is not recognized, since you're permanently bonded with your first spouse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM
Because she was still married, although it wasn't a fulfilled sacrament in the eyes of the Catholic Church.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I can understand not recognizing the first marriage.  However, since they never considered her married to begin with, how can they claim that she is divorced?

Quoting Maiden6910: The church considers marriage an unbreakable bond and since the state/government cannot dissolve that which is spiritually permanent, remarriage after divorce is not recognized, since you're permanently bonded with your first spouse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM
I just explained it. Her marriages were legal. The church understands that they were legally wed. That does not mean the church has to recognize the marriage since it goes against their belief. She was excommunicated when she married her first husband. That was it right there. It didn't matter if she divorced, remarried, became a widow, or did three backflips...she was already out of the "club" at that point.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I just want to understand how they can claim that she is divorced when they told her that she was never married to begin with.  They won't recognize either of her legal marriages, but will recognize her legal divorce?

Quoting Anonymous 2: The church is intelligent enough to understand the difference between marriage "in the eyes of God" and marriage "in the eyes of the law". Her marriage to the divorced man wasn't recognized in the eyes of God, but was obviously legal and valid by government laws.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:29 AM

So, they only recognize civil unions when it is convenient for them?  I mean, if they're going to accept that she is divorced, then it means they accept she was married.  You cannot be divorced without being married first.

Quoting MBMBRN:

From a religious standpoint, she was never married and never will be considered married as she is legally divorced. Her marriages were most likely both legal in the sense that the government recognized them, but the church is separate from that.

Maiden6910
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:30 AM
They considered her married, just not sanctioned in the eyes of the church.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)